Default A summer day in the islands

A slice of last summer. :-)

The sun will be back!

***

Orcas Island's West Sound

Somewhere near the midpoint of an extended summer excursion through the
San Juan Islands, it would not be unusual to yearn for something of a
break from the traditional peak season boating conditions. The tourist
towns, the posh resorts, the State Park moorages, and other
stereotypical destinations are unquestionably a lot of fun, but all the
boats, people, hustle buck, and congestion can eventually become
exhausting. After a boatload of drunks just a couple of slips away
hoots, hollers, and screams until 0230 (or the six-decked floating city
hogging most of a woodsy cove runs all three generators, all night),
somewhere peaceful and quiet seems particularly desirable.

Does any place remain in the San Juans that isn't overwhelmed during
the height of the summer cruising season? Some picturesque nook where
boaters are welcome, but relatively few accept the invitation on any
given day? A genuinely nautical destination where the docks aren't
swamped with gawking sightseers from East Plowville every time a new
tour bus arrives? Some place where your boat probably won't be in peril
of being rammed at the dock by somebody frantically trying to "hit all
the high points" during their annual boat ride? Yes, there is.

For the second time in the last few years, we sought refuge from the
teeming San Juan hordes in Orcas Island's West Sound. West Sound is a
scenic cruising ground, with an almost uninterrupted vista of forested
hills surrounding the bay. The area is somewhat protected, except from
strong southerlies. Names of islands and landmarks here commemorate
some of the last inter-tribal raids by Native Americans in the Pacific
Northwest. Haida Point commemorates a roving sea nation that dispatched
war canoes to gather provisions and slaves from surrounding, more
docile, fishing and gathering nations. "Skull", "Massacre", and
"Victim" Islands denote relatively recent inter-tribal violence in this
serene and soothing bay.

We have rowed ashore and explored some of the small, fish camp islands
in West Sound. Most are now generally overgrown, with former trails and
clearings reclaimed by brush and windfall. As one motors up West Sound
on a sunny, summer afternoon, it is easy to visualize that the area
would have been a preferred village site for Native Americans.

The hamlet surrounding Orcas Ferry Landing is near the entrance to West
Sound, but unlike Deer Harbor to the west or East Sound to the east,
there is no major tourist resort and no town of any size in West Sound.
A perfect destination for a secluded break.

We have previously docked at the Orcas Island Yacht Club reciprocal
dock, near 48.37.88 N and 122.57.59 W, where members of clubs with
reciprocal privileges are welcome. We were not affiliated with such a
club during our 2004 cruise. We took a spot on the transient dock at
West Sound Marina, near 48.37.75 N and 122.57.51 W.

The approach to West Sound Marina is tricky, but should be successfully
accomplished by all but the careless or clueless. The closer one
approaches the visitors' float, the tighter the channel becomes. Picnic
Island is immediately south of the marina, and arriving boats must stay
very close to the float to avoid a protruding, rocky ledge. A properly
scaled chart, a working depth sounder, a conscious plan, and a sharp
eye will all be useful here.

(As we departed the marina on a low tide, Jan reported seeing a large
rock just underwater and about five feet off the port beam. We were
passing boats rafted less than ten feet to starboard, so extremely deep
draft or beamy vessels will want to exercise extra caution entering or
departing here at low water.)

On a warm afternoon, in late August, when the marinas and resorts on
the more highly traveled routes in the San Juans would be turning
people away, we were the only boat on the visitors' float at West Sound
Marina. The Orcas Island Yacht Club float had but a single boat as
well. A few early evening arrivals would eventually join us, but we had
the dock to ourselves most of the afternoon.

West Sound Marina is a full service location. Many island residents
maintain their boats here on a permanent basis, and West Sound is
equipped with a Travel Lift capable of hauling out the majority of
pleasure vessels. Skilled boatwrights are on hand to address anything
from a quick repair to a major overhaul. Marine supplies, charts, and
snacks are for sale in a surprisingly well-stocked marina office, and
gasoline and diesel are both available on the fuel dock. When landing
at West Sound Marina, one is well aware that they are in a legitimate,
working, maritime location rather than a Disneyfied simulation. The
marina and the surroundings are "postcard" picturesque.

Once moored and checked in, West Sound is a perfect location to bask on
deck with a good book, a cold beverage, and a grandstand view of
impressive sunsets. The late August air is slovenly and plump- as rich
with scent as baking bread. Just ashore, the berries and grasses are
ripe in every direction, Summer's work is accomplished, so she takes a
few well-deserved breaths and begins to contemplate retirement. It is
an easy, peaceful time of few troubles.

We could have passed the entire afternoon and evening lounging,
napping, reading, writing, and watching otters frolic in the shallows.
Jan decided we really needed an ice cream cone, so we decided to unfold
the bikes and pedal just under 12 short miles to East Sound. East Sound
is a wonderful, hip, tourist community that welcomes boaters- but not
boats. There is an eel grass bed that allegedly extends about halfway
back to Seattle, and the town (wisely) prohibits anchoring activity
that could damage the fragile ecological resource. The compact town
dock is closed to boaters after dark. Bicyclists are considered
environmentally friendly in East Sound, so we hoped that none of the
disapproving locals would notice the "Mariner" model name and allow us
to sneak in somewhat incognito. What the Goulds won't do for ice cream
on a hot summer day!

We pedaled up and down a series of endless hills between West Sound and
East Sound.
One of us got some directions confused, (but she will remain
anonymous), and we took the long route down the main road between the
Orcas ferry and East Sound. Our little folding bikes allow us to
appreciate far more of the island scenery, economy, and highlights when
we land on a large place like Orcas. As we peddled through the center
of the island, we passed scores of idyllic farmsteads- new mown meadows
surrounded by bright white fences. We saw houses, barns, and tree lined
vistas that would have been impossible to view from the water. Boating
and biking are a combination that is hard to beat when exploring an
area.

A tourist shop or two interrupted our bike ride, but we ultimately
arrived in East Sound. Jan bought the Sunday paper, and we savored some
sweet, cold, ice cream.
After a 12-mile bike ride, we considered the calories "free".

The outbound ride to the ice cream shop seemed more alluring than the
prospect of the return ride to the marina, and 24 total miles of hills
are a bit of a push for a pair of no-longer-youthful amateur cyclists.
We caught the Orcas Island Shuttle back to West Sound, ($5 each and
another $1 for each bike). The Shuttle runs a regular route around
Orcas several times a day between mid-June and mid-September. A $10
pass will allow a boater to board or disembark the shuttle at Lieber
Haven, Olga, Moran, Rosario, Cascade, Ship Bay, the Orcas Airport, East
Sound, Deer Harbor, West Sound, and the Orcas Ferry dock. The shuttle
is an excellent way to view Orcas Island if bikes are not available, or
(as we found); when late in the day the hills seem to be getting
steeper and more frequent.

One can use West Sound as a base to explore Orcas, but the character of
the place really seems more ideally suited to kicking back on deck, and
savoring the tranquility.

The West Sound Inn is reputed to be a very good restaurant, and is a
five-minute walk from the marina- we would have dined there but found
it closed on Sunday. The more we experience our NW waters, the longer
our list becomes of places we want to visit and things we hope to do in
the future. We have added the West Sound Inn to our list of things to
do when next in West Sound.

We sipped some sweet wine on the aft deck. Otters splashed and rolled
in waters rippled red and black as the sun slid off the cosmic canvas
in the west. It was easy to forget that the noisy drunks and the Grand
Coulee powerhouse gensets were still in the general vicinity, (they
could have been a world away). We will be back to West Sound within a
year or two; the next time we feel temporarily "burned out" by the
summer crowds in the San Juans.

Boating, like ripping a bodice, is the fulfillment of a fantasy. The
intensity of the anticipation has an effect on the ultimate experience.

Mixing in a pinch of spice here and there fuels the imagination. :-)

Thanks for the compliment.

Too bad I can't share the photos, it's a beautiful place.

Harry wrote:

Nice write-up, chuckster...watch that prose, though...it is heading
towards purple.

********

Thanks. I deliberately crowd the schmaltzy side of the channel at
various points.
This type of item is a lot more like writing a greeting card than
penning Moby Dick. :-)

John H

On 11 Feb 2005 13:40:42 -0800, wrote:

A slice of last summer. :-)

The sun will be back!

***

[...]

Definitely makes me want to have a boat on Puget Sound! Nice story, Chuck. Now,
go here http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jherring1/my_photos and figure out how
to get some of those pictures posted.

Nice job.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes

JimH

wrote in message
oups.com...
A slice of last summer. :-)

The sun will be back!

***

[...]

Nice story Chuck...thanks.

John H wrote:

Definitely makes me want to have a boat on Puget Sound! Nice story,
Chuck. Now,
go here http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jherring1/my_photos and figure
out how
to get some of those pictures posted.

*******************************

That site seems to allow me to download photos from you, but not add
photos to your album.

Not a bad policy, can you imagine some of the embarrasing photos people
would tag onto other's websites? "BBW meets 5 strategic squirts of
whipped cream and a couple of marachino cherries"?
I think not.

Send me your actual email address by private email and I'll send you a
photofile.

Same with anybody else who would like to see the pictures.

Summer cruising QLW General 2 January 27th 04 08:13 PM
Summer Cruises QLW Cruising 2 January 14th 04 07:16 PM
South Pacific Islands Courtesy Flags Geoffrey W. Schultz Cruising 26 December 3rd 03 10:40 PM
A great summer of crusing or Let's Ban Power Boats! jchaplain General 33 November 12th 03 12:07 AM
PR: Rocky Mountain Canoe Club Summer Rendezvous - Colorado Dave Allured Touring 0 July 23rd 03 11:56 PM