Default TotalBoat Work Skiff Completed - Last Episode

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:56:38 AM UTC-7, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:41:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 6:49:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 13:22:47 -0400,

wrote:

She's a bit small for tonging oyster, and the gunwales arn't wide enough to stand on for tonging

===

Did you mean not high enough? I've never seen anyone stand on the
gunwhales when tonging, more often leaning against them.

same here

www.floridamemory.com/items/show/123012

Like I said I did it for a living, but not in Fl. maybe they do it different in Fl? Looks the same to me, I worked my CB Deadrise on the James river tonging oysters with my boat.

Like this? Looks like it might even be on the James.

http://tinyurl.com/l42uyw5

Googling 'chesapeake bay oyster tongs' will show pics of folks doing it both ways.

Exactly like that with the cullboard amidship, We used a shot of chain off the bow to keep the boat steady in the current to work the bottom, then when we worked over a spot we'd use the tongs to push the boat backwards to get a new piece of bottom.

My old boat at the time was a 35' round stern CB deadrise with a chevy 350 that I worked out of Rescue Va in the winter, In the spring I'd put the hydraulic pot hauler on it then crabbed out in the bay for sook (female) crab and around June I'd pull my pots and head up the river to chase the jimmy (male) crabs.

wrote:

[...]

Your boat was considerably larger than the skiff they just completed
on YouTube. Different boats for different conditions no doubt. In
the harbors on Long Island Sound that I am most familiar with, they
use a different technique and smaller boats. They'll typically rig a
steadying sail to help them maintain position while working a rake or
basket on the end of a very long pole.

wrote:

[...]

Thats called Bull Raking for clams. BTDT. About as hard work as tonging oysters.

Many moons ago I ran the Scoop II a 60' surf clam dredge boat out of Freeport LI for bait clams off Rockaway selling to Head boats from Sheepshead Bay to Montauk.

I also ran the 75' Enterprise out of Greenport dredgeing clams off Mattituck for Freeport Sea clam co mostly selling to Doxee, Campbells and Howard Johnsons

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 20:12:23 -0400, Alex wrote:

wrote:
Well, it's finally finished and it looks great. In the last episode
Lou takes it out and sea trials it with a Yamaha 50, runs great.

It's now listed for sale on EBAY (without outboard), and bidding is up
to $17,000 as we speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcFv9SO_8lQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-16-wooden-work-skiff-built-by-Louis-Sauzedde-on-Tips-from-a-Shipwright-/201900564523?hash=item2f0236202b:g:3QoAAOSw5UZY-ngE&vxp=mtr

I'd like to see it with a small center console and helm seat but then
it wouldn't be a work boat. It's too pretty for hauling crab pots or
oyster tonging in any case.

It's nice but I would rather have this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622597157

My $45,000 bid didn't do it and I would have been surprised if it did!

Damn, 550hp ought to move it right along!

On 4/24/17 8:12 PM, Alex wrote:
wrote:
Well, it's finally finished and it looks great. In the last episode
Lou takes it out and sea trials it with a Yamaha 50, runs great.

It's now listed for sale on EBAY (without outboard), and bidding is up
to $17,000 as we speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcFv9SO_8lQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-16-wooden-work-skiff-built-by-Louis-Sauzedde-on-Tips-from-a-Shipwright-/201900564523?hash=item2f0236202b:g:3QoAAOSw5UZY-ngE&vxp=mtr

I'd like to see it with a small center console and helm seat but then
it wouldn't be a work boat. It's too pretty for hauling crab pots or
oyster tonging in any case.

It's nice but I would rather have this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622597157

My $45,000 bid didn't do it and I would have been surprised if it did!

I remember the Sunday mornings we'd be awakened by the noise of a pair
of airboats driven by assholes tearing up the marshlands along the
ICW...and I mean "tearing up." I'm sure you would have been among them,
given the opportunity. Their persona non grata status was made official
somehow as a result of excessive noise. I was hopeful their running over
an oyster bed might perforate the bottoms of their boats but, alas, as
far as I know, it didn't happen.

This company:

http://stur-deeboat.com/amesbury-dory/

makes very nice dory style small boats that can be equipped with seats
and a console. My dad bought and sold dozens and dozens of these boats
when they were made of wood. We knew the original owner, who died a few
years ago. I crossed LI Sound in one of these boats with a 15 hp
Evinrude on the stern. I think I was about 10 or 11, something like
that. Straight over to Port Jeff.