EJ

Default Walden Vista Expedition or Prijon Capri I

I simply need a boat I can get on and off my vehicle alone. As a
small woman, my family's Dagger Prospect simply requires another
person to help me. I'm looking to use the kayak for a couple of hours
here and there, mostly on the protected bay and local calm river. I'd
be paying about $120 more for the Prijon and am trying to figure out
whether there's value in that.
Thanks!
Mary Malmros

"EJ" writes:

Actually, the Walden is 4 pounds lighter, at 39 pounds. I was thinking that
wouldn't make that much difference, but maybe I need to rethink
that.

Four pounds doesn't seem like a huge difference, but maybe you can
check it out. It might be worth going to a kayak store and asking
if you can try lifting a boat this size onto your rack -- not
necessarily one of these two boats, but something close to it. That
way, you'll have a sense of how easily you can manage the weight,
and where your limit is.

I am usually cartopping whitewater kayaks, which weigh in at
somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds empty. Miscellaneous crap
probably adds another five pounds or so. I can be pretty casual
about putting these up on top of a sedan, but if the vehicle is
tall, I have to be a little more clever in how I do it, since I'm
not real tall myself (only 5' 6"). Even though 40 pounds is not a
lot of weight, it's easy to hurt yourself trying to lift it
overhead, particularly at the end of a long day of paddling when
you're tired, the ground is uneven, some dope parked the car on a
slope, etc.

--
Mary Malmros