posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default "I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain"

Well, it's not cocaine but another kind of addiction that goes through
the brain of the "voracious consumers" (SUVs, motorboats...)

'Oil on the Brain: Adventures from the Pump to the Pipeline'

'Lisa Margonelli's illuminating, entertaining stories of "people who
oversee oil's long journey to our cars." Starting at her neighborhood
filling station, she scurries up the pump like Alice down the rabbit
hole, to discover and chronicle the delivery trucks, refineries,
drilling rigs, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the oil market and,
most tellingly, the voracious consumers. Simply put, oil rules. It is
indispensable to our comfortable lifestyles and we will go to war over
access to it.

Running through the book, subterranean but ever present, is our
preposterous relationship to oil, an institutionalized addiction that
discourages strategic change. We feed the rat [dinosaur] instead of
setting a trap for it.

Today's petro-states are hazards in themselves: Margonelli's portraits
of Venezuela, Chad, Iran and Nigeria are cases in point. "Lurking
within [those countries] were instability, poverty, nationalism, and
deep anti-American feelings. The 2001 National Energy Policy, written
after secret consultations between Vice President Dick Cheney and oil
executives, concluded as much. ... Many people interpret it as a
virtual declaration of war." Weapons of mass destruction don't have to
be bombs; oil fits the bill quite nicely.'

http://www.envirosagainstwar.org/kno...hp?itemid=5209

"She realizes that the long term future of energy is not with oil. She
says: 'The United States could put its considerable money and
political will into creating new kinds of vehicles and fuels, while
creating incentives to use fossil fuels more efficiently.'
Unfortunately, when I listen to our politicians, I don't hear anything
about such things. Perhaps lip service as in the state of the union
message, but no action."

http://www.amazon.com/Oil-Brain-Adve.../dp/0385511450

and I leave you with the lyrics here (you may substitute appropriately
oil for cocaine)...

Song: Cocaine in My Brain Lyrics

Hey Jim, Jim, just a minute y'all
I want to ask you somethin'
I want you to spell somethin' for me Jim
Can you do that? Sure John
But I want you to spell for me New York
John, why you ask me to do that?
I just want you to spell New York, Jim
Well alright, I'm gonna go ahead man

N-E-W Y-O-R-K, that's New York man
No Jim, you've made a mistake, Jim
I'm gonna teach you the right way
And the proper way to spell New York
Well, go ahead, John

A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York, Jim - yeah
You see I'm a dynamite
So all you got to do is hold me tight
Because I'm out a sight, you know
'Cause I'm a dynamite

But everytime I walk in the rain
Man, o man, I feel a pain, I feel a burning pain
Keep on burning in my bloody brain

I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain
I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain
I want you to dig me soul brother and soul sister
I want you hold me tight because I'm a dynamite - yeah
I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain

No matter where I treat my guest
You see they always like my kitchen best
'Cause I've cocaine runnin' around my brain
cocaine runnin' around my brain, yea

Hey Jim, Jim? Where is Jim, man?
Jim, I want you to tell me somethin'
I want you to spell for me New York, Jim
Come on, Jim, I want you to spell New York

A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York
Right on, out of sight man, right on, ooh
Right on, yeah, right on

[...]

Come on, Jim, I want you spell New York

A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York
Right on, out of sight man, right on, ooh
Right on, yeah, right on

Man oh man, I'm on the run
I've got to reach the setting sun
'Cause I've got cocaine
A whole lot, whole lot of cocaine, man
Runnin' around my brain, runnin' around my brain
cocaine, cocaine, runnin' around my brain, yeah

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/mewit...einmybrain.htm

posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle

On Feb 24, 3:41 pm, "TonyLee" wrote:

How do you change the subject of someone else's thread? This doesn't
seem to me to be a think I'm in favor of. Wouldn't it be easier to
killfile the yahoo?

Steve

posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default ARE THE POOR BETTER ENVIRONMENTALISTS?

--I thought its was because we either can't afford powerboats or were
too cheap to buy one.--

Well, originally you may buy it because of that. But then you say,
"Gee, I'm also doing the right thing!" (I hate motorboats, but would
love to have a sailboat --and my canoe/kayak!)

Which brings us to the issue, ARE THE POOR BETTER ENVIRONMENTALISTS?
Well, some lions --a tiny minority-- got money and also have a small
footprint. Here for example is Paul Newman and his daughter. I was
reading last night how she defended having a Porsche, but only using
it once a week and then use public transportation the rest of the
week. Something understandable, no?

The very poor though may not have the inspiration to own a small
watercraft or bike for lack of education, and some, given the chance,
would love to become lions.

Just some thoughts about the jungle.

On Feb 28, 9:44 am, "cramersec" wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:41 pm, "TonyLee" wrote:

How do you change the subject of someone else's thread? This doesn't
seem to me to be a think I'm in favor of. Wouldn't it be easier to
killfile the yahoo?

Steve

Remember, the lion loves camouflage. And he wants to silence the
monkey crying "lion!"

posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 28, 9:44 am, "cramersec" wrote:
On Feb 24, 3:41 pm, "TonyLee" wrote:

How do you change the subject of someone else's thread? This doesn't
seem to me to be a think I'm in favor of. Wouldn't it be easier to
killfile the yahoo?

Steve

Remember, the lion loves camouflage. And he wants to silence the
monkey crying "lion!"

Ah yes glasshoppa!

And if it takes a chicken and a half, to lay an egg and a half, in a day and
a half...
How many of those monkeys does it take to kick all the seeds out of a dill
pickle?

--
-Don
Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:

On Feb 28, 1:06 pm, "Don Freeman" wrote:

Remember, the lion loves camouflage. And he wants to silence the
monkey crying "lion!"

Ah yes glasshoppa!

And if it takes a chicken and a half, to lay an egg and a half, in a day and
a half...
How many of those monkeys does it take to kick all the seeds out of a dill
pickle?

Well, it takes a monkey to squeeze the pickle until the seeds are
out.

That's my best bet.

posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default land of giants

Hey, I found this kayaker's dream to be similar to mine (written by
another Quixote charging at the giants!) Here it is...

land of giants

Small children walk in a land of Giants. Giants of course can't always
see what's going on so close to the ground. It can be tough to get a
giants attention. Giants are busy with GIANT problems. Giants have
GIANT pressures and GIANT distractions. Funny that they wonder why the
little people seems to talk loud, repeat questions, tug, pull and
sometimes just go crazy right when the giants are in the middle of
something of GIANT consequence. The problem you see, is the clouds.
The giant can't see below them and the little people can't see above.
It can be hard sometimes for a giant to understand or care about the
problems of the little people. They can seem so foreign. The little
people often just can't see the giants problems. But one thing they
know, something they learned from Jack, if you want a giant's
attention sometimes you have to steal his harp. Of course by then the
giant is angry, blustering and booming, and tripping over bean stalks
still stupidly unaware of what the little person wanted in the first
place. Remember Jack? Before all hell broke loose he was just hungry.

I woke up this morning thinking of giants and little people. Strange I
know. If you're a giant in little person's world, do me a favor, Look
down.

kayakquixotica.com
http://www.kayakwisconsin.net/blog.html

posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default the Law of the Jungle is applied between a motorboat and a canoe

--These days seats are height adjustable.--

Bike seats are adjustable, but "egos" are harder to adjust.

My own sweetheart is 5' too. But she doesn't like SUVs for herself.
She found them "sexy" for men at the beginning of the relationship,
but I guess she was influenced by the monkey on the bike (me).

Now we got foldable bikes as well as a canoe when we want to have fun.
And why is it that lions make it wasteful and dangerous when looking
for pleasure? Yesterday we went out on the canoe, and there were a
bunch of motorboats speeding around in an orgy of gasoline --and quite
possibly alcohol and drugs. A scary place to be in a canoe, but you
can't live under fear all the time, right?

There's a question though regarding how the Law of the Jungle --the
Big Fish eats the Little Fish-- is applied between a motorboat and a
canoe. My take is that the canoe must run away from the charging
motorboat! It seems the monkey is always guilty no matter what...