posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
rb608

Default Newbie PFD question

Very new to touring kayaks here. Over the summer, I built a 17 foot S&G
kayak for #1 son. It turned out great, and it looks like a ball to paddle.
Of course, I am very insistant on his wearing a PFD, but our family history
is with recreational canoeing, and our PFD inventory is inexpensive
jacket-types. It was clear from the beginning that these were uncomfortable
and unsuited for use in the small cockpit of the touring kayak.

With him sitting down in the cockpit with a spray skirt around him, the PFDs
are far too long and flare out at the bottom around the spray skirt. So
looking ahead to next year, I'd like to get him something more suited to his
boat. (BTW, t's a CLC Chesapeake 17LT, FWIW).

I'd expect that he'd need something that fit higher on his chest, but a
local outdoor outfitter isn't very convenient, so I'd appreciate some advice
on a few brands & models as a starting point.

TIA,
Joe F.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Michael Daly

On 3-Dec-2005, "rb608" wrote:

I'd expect that he'd need something that fit higher on his chest, but a
local outdoor outfitter isn't very convenient, so I'd appreciate some advice
on a few brands & models as a starting point.

He'd probably appreciate some of the lower profile PFDs and kayak specific
PFDs. Do a web search on Kokatat, Lotus Designs, Extrasport. As you hit
various kayak retailer's sites, you'll see other brands and get an idea
of what's out there.

PFDs are a personal thing - some like certain brands more than others
and certain types more than others. To some extent, you get what you
pay for - cheap PFDs are cheap. But at the same time, the priciest
PFD isn't necessarily the best.

I've been using a Lotus Designs PFD for years and would consider another.
I like a couple of Kokatat models as well.

Mike

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
He'd probably appreciate some of the lower profile PFDs and kayak specific
PFDs. Do a web search on Kokatat, Lotus Designs, Extrasport. As you hit
various kayak retailer's sites, you'll see other brands and get an idea
of what's out there.

Thanks for a quick reply. I have seen the Kokatat "Orbit" that looks to
have a relatively narrow profile; but most of the others I've seen online,
even expensive Lotus, Kokatat, Stohlquist, etc.) don't look as though
they're small enough to fit in the cockpit, over the spray skirt. Thanks
for the brand acknowledgements. I'll keep my eyes open.

Joe

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Kevin Vang

In article LXqkf.6495$SY.736@trnddc06,
says...
Joe F.

Joe Fleischman? How you been? Stop into roff and say hi
sometime!

Kevin

--
reply to:
kevin dot vang at minotstateu dot edu
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Darryl Johnson

rb608 wrote in news:Tdtkf.7983$wF.5336@trnddc08:

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
He'd probably appreciate some of the lower profile PFDs and
kayak specific PFDs. Do a web search on Kokatat, Lotus
Designs, Extrasport. As you hit various kayak retailer's
sites, you'll see other brands and get an idea of what's out
there.

Thanks for a quick reply. I have seen the Kokatat "Orbit" that
looks to have a relatively narrow profile; but most of the
others I've seen online, even expensive Lotus, Kokatat,
Stohlquist, etc.) don't look as though they're small enough to
fit in the cockpit, over the spray skirt. Thanks for the brand
acknowledgements. I'll keep my eyes open.

Joe

I read an article about PFDs way back when I was starting that had
some good advice: I'll pass it on.

At the store, put the PFD on and sit on the floor (as if you were
in the kayak) and make paddling motions. Pay careful attention to
how the PFD feels as you go through the full range of motions,
since rubbing around the armpits or neck can quickly become
uncomfortable on even a day paddle.

You will, of course, look like an idiot doing this. But get an
ill-fitting PFD and you'll wish you had taken the time to look
like an idiot, believe me! (If you have enough panache, you can
convince other shoppers that *they're* the idiots. grin)

Good luck!
--
Darryl

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
rb608

"Kevin Vang" wrote in message
t...

Joe F? How you been? Stop into roff and say hi
sometime!

Ha. I can run, but I can't hide, eh? Yeah, it's me. I've been thinking
about stopping in; I miss (almost) everybody. Maybe I'll pop my head in one
of these days.

Joe F.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

If inexpensive is a must you may check out the stables of some guiding
outfitters. They don't like to use stuff that looks badly used and you
can often get a year or so old vest for a fraction of its cost new. It
will also be porpose oriented. Kayak.
I use a Lotus and own a Kokotat PFD as well as some other stuff from
Mustang. The Lotus and kokotat are my favourites.

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
peter

Their are great pfd's on the market for all skirt types and body
shapes........you have to get him to wear one. The odds will get you if
you are on the water enough. No amount of anticipation can save you
100% of the time. Looking up from hydraulics is humbling. I was also a
goat for a while insistng that our kids learn how to roll(as well as
the pfd) before they took one of the boats out on a trip (forced me to
become proficient at it if I was going to make them do it). After our
kid's near death experience I was no longer the goat....peter
Kevin Vang wrote:
In article qzIkf.4031$H84.1357@trnddc04,
says...
Ha. I can run, but I can't hide, eh? Yeah, it's me. I've been thinking
about stopping in; I miss (almost) everybody. Maybe I'll pop my head in one
of these days.

Good, cause everybody misses you.

Kevin

--
reply to:
kevin dot vang at minotstateu dot edu

Electrical question Doug Dotson Cruising 9 October 24th 05 02:07 AM
Mercruiser outdrive question John Chaplain General 3 October 23rd 05 05:50 PM
Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant) charliekilo Cruising 19 October 19th 05 02:30 PM
Oil use question Big Pop General 6 October 14th 05 11:02 AM
Hey Peggie / Group - LactraSan question [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 10th 05 08:37 PM