Default TotalBoat Work Skiff Completed - Last Episode

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 19:55:57 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

On 4/27/17 3:41 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 4/27/17 11:25 AM, justan wrote:

On 4/27/17 10:28 AM, justan wrote:

On 4/27/17 12:31 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 20:21:54 -0400, Alex wrote:

The Everglades is full of wide open trails. If you travel off
of them
you don't want to be going 20mph!

In the park itself there are not many places you can use an
airboat if
any. The intent is to eliminate it altogether. Air boat tour
operators
who used have an exemption are losing them. Most of this is
done on
private property.

Is that because airboats are considered a nuisance or destructive?

What would be your boat of choice for navigating the Everglades?

Salt water kayak or flats boat.

Go for it, dummy.

Lots of people do.

How many return?

I presume most of them. I still get a Florida fishing magazine, and
there are plenty of articles about fishing the everglades off a kayak or
flats boat.

Most? In excess of 50% is good in your book, I suppose.

Not to worry. Since you are a piece of ****, you'll float.

My goodness. That mouth of yours is as disgusting as Slammer's.
Aparently your thin skin causes you to erupt with vulgarities. If
you'd lose a hundred pounds or so you might not get so many fat
jokes thrown at you.

He did do a lot of complaining about his pustules...or was that about his CZ pistols?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 05:29:05 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

This one was crafty. After three years it had become large ... about 8
feet and the Florida Fish and Wildlife department set traps to catch it.
The traps were hooks hanging on lines from low branches on which a
rotting chicken carcass was placed. I watched several times as the
alligator approached the chicken, stopped about 10 feet away from it and
just laid there in the water eyeing it. Then, after about 15-20 minutes
it would submerge and I thought for sure it was closing in for an
attack. Instead, it would just swim away, ignoring it. This went on
for a month or so. The chicken was replaced every few days.

They finally got it however but not by using a trap.

They still have not been able to catch the one that bit the guy at my
wife's place but they are not really trying that hard. If they sent an
old redneck in there at night he would be gone.

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 11:07:23 -0400,
wrote:

Interesting. Do the female gators care for their young?

.... like a Jewish mother. Dad might eat them tho.

Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It was an attempt at humor Harry.

Down the street from the house we had in Florida there was a small
business that rented canoes. It was located on a small river, actually
more like a large brook, that wound it's way for over a mile through
heavy natural growth, trees with limbs that overhung the water and
loaded with wild life. The wild life included alligators that stared
at you as you floated by and snakes that were hanging in the tree
branches. They had never had any attacks but you had to sign a hold
harmless statement before renting the canoe.

We also had a man-made small lake directly behind one of the houses we
owned. The water line was about 20 yards from the deck on the back of
the house. The lake had a resident alligator who we saw everyday as
it made it's slow patrol around the lake. I had one of those 10 foot
plastic Jon boats with an electric motor on it and I often went
fishing on the little lake. Saw the alligator a few times eyeing me
but he .. it was actually a "she" .. never bothered me.

I've previously described the events that happened one day when
another alligator tried to move in with her. The intruder didn't last
long and it happened right before our eyes.

They will run after your bait or lures.

This one was crafty. After three years it had become large ... about
8 feet and the Florida Fish and Wildlife department set traps to catch
it.
The traps were hooks hanging on lines from low branches on which a
rotting chicken carcass was placed. I watched several times as the
alligator approached the chicken, stopped about 10 feet away from it
and just laid there in the water eyeing it. Then, after about 15-20
minutes it would submerge and I thought for sure it was closing in for
an attack. Instead, it would just swim away, ignoring it. This went
on for a month or so. The chicken was replaced every few days.

They finally got it however but not by using a trap.

He was probably fed by people. That is a big problem and led to the
death of a kid at Disney. Their in-house fire department allegedly fed
them and they became used to people as a food source - one way or another...

The tourist airboat captains have routinely fed the alligators to give
their customers a better experience and, of course, bigger tips. They
have busted a few fairly recently. Seems tourists record video of
everything!

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 17:56:12 -0700, Boating All Out
wrote:

They still have not been able to catch the one that bit the guy at my
wife's place but they are not really trying that hard. If they sent an
old redneck in there at night he would be gone.

Better load him up with hooch first, just to be sure.

Absolutely.

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 21:44:19 -0400, Alex wrote:

The park is less than 20% of the Everglades. There is plenty of public
access left.

That is not what the guys are saying around here. The amount of
unrestricted public land is rapidly approaching zero (the government
owns or controls more than just that one park).
There is certainly some privately owned land in the swamp that hasn't
been drained for sugar but it is not "public access". Even those
people are getting government pressure. ~10 years ago was the last
time I was on an airboat and even then they were complaining about how
few place we could go.

EGNP is owned by the US government. The rest is owned by the state
except for some that is owned/controlled by the Native Americans.

The state is becoming as restrictive as the feds. Big Cypress,
Fakahatchee strand and Picayune strand are all limiting ORVs of all
types