Default Marine Penetrol

I just got my 17 Mako back out of the shop, this is a 20 year old boat.
About 6 months ago I polished the gelcoat, then never got around to
waxing it, it is chalky looking again. I was going to give Marine
Penetrol a try, but I have some new vinyl lettering for the side of the
boat. should I put these on before or after the penetrol?

Jerry

jerryeveretts wrote:
I just got my 17 Mako back out of the shop, this is a 20 year old boat.
About 6 months ago I polished the gelcoat, then never got around to
waxing it, it is chalky looking again. I was going to give Marine
Penetrol a try, but I have some new vinyl lettering for the side of the
boat. should I put these on before or after the penetrol?

Jerry

Here's something about Penetrol that I dug up:

"An interesting tidbit about Penetrol: If you buy a quart of 'Marine'
penetrol it will set you back nearly $13.00. If you go to Home Depot
and buy a quart of regular Penetrol, then it's about $7.00. You may
think to yourself, "Hmm, the marine stuff must have something
interesting about it." You'd be wrong. A call to the company that makes
Penetrol by Herb garnered the following fact: It's all the same. The
line that cans 'marine' Penetrol is exactly the same one canning the
standard stuff. What changes? The label. And the price."

I can't tell you for sure, but I think I'd put the lettering on
afterward. I'd treat with Penetrol, then when it came time to put the
lettering on, I'd clean that area with alcohol.

I personally would not use penetrol on the gel coat.

Best way to restore the chalky gelcoat is to acid wash the boat, then cut it
back using a buff, then switch pads and use a fine non silicone fibreglass
polish. Apply your lettering and put a coat of wax over the lot.

Cam

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

jerryeveretts wrote:
[...]

I have found that using a washing mixture of TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate)
removes the chalk and leaves a bright gel coat. It is available at some
hardware stores.

Don Dando

jerryeveretts wrote:
[...]

Marine Plywood or plywood for marine uses + links and images Mic Cruising 0 September 22nd 05 03:38 AM
2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 03:48 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 10:42 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM