NOYB

Default Boat insurance questions

I just bought a 25' boat, called my insurance company (State Farm) to insure
it, and they told me they would not write a policy on a boat stored at a
marina in a "coastal area". Huh? The boat is stored on a rack in a covered
building. My other boat, a 17' center console, is stored on a trailer at an
inland storage facility...and the same State Farm agent had no problem
insuring that one.

Soooo....
I called the only other company (Boat US) for which I had the phone number
at that particular moment. They wanted to know where the boat was primarily
being used (Florida Gulf), but didn't ask where it was stored. I was happy
how easily the process went over the phone...until I got my "binder".

The cruising limits portion of the binder states: "U.S. Atlantic Coastal
Waters including Florida-Atlantic and Gulf coastal and inland waters
tributary thereto of the U.S. and Canada between St. John, New Brunswick and
Mobile, Alabama, inclusive."

So I called them and asked "how far out can I go? What is considered
*coastal* waters?"

The agent replied that I could go out as far as I'd like as long as I didn't
enter another country's terratorial waters.

"Could I go to the Bahamas?" I asked

She replied "No. You only have a single engine"

I asked "Could I get a 2nd engine and then go?"

She said "No. Your boat is under 26'."

I responded "A 43' Torres with a single engine wouldn't qualify?"

She said "Oh no...a 43' boat could go"

I asked "What about the second engine."

She responded "That's only for boats under 26'."

"But I thought you said boats under 26' couldn't go...even with two
engines!" I exclaimed (getting quite agitated now).

She responded "Look. The only way you can go to the Bahamas and still be
convered is if you travel in a flotilla."

I asked "How do you define a *flotilla*?"

"Several boats" she replied.

"Several...meaning me and another?" I asked.

"Nope. You and at least two other boats." she responded.

"What if the other boats are smaller than mine?" I asked

"They have to be longer than yours?"

"Do they qualify even if they all have only one engine? Just
kidding...please fax me a copy of your specific policy on travelling to
other contries' terratorial waters."

This conversation took place two hours ago...and I'm still waiting for the
fax.

Does anybody have any pros/cons/experience with Boat US
comprehensive/liability insurance? Does anybody recommend any other
specific company that might be better to deal with?

Greg Boyles

Wow,
I am looking into insurance for my boat I am purchasing a 32 ft live aboard.
I was told that Progressive isn't a bad provider. But I don't know the
details yet.

I hope your experience gets better.
Greg

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

JR North

Let's put this in perspective. Do you actually *plan* to go
to the Bahamas? The reason for the limitations on the policy
is that small, single engined boats traveling alone tend to
get into trouble. The insurance companies don't care about
*you*, they care about averages and trends. They're a little
edgy about boats stored in coastal marinas? Wonder why....I
understand your point; the robotic illogic would annoy me,
too. But the policy sounds ok otherwise.
At least BoatUS is solid and reliable. Going somewhere else
might be a crap shoot.
JR

--
Remove X to reply

NOYB

"JR North" wrote in message
Let's put this in perspective. Do you actually *plan* to go
to the Bahamas?

Perhaps. Definitely not without adding a 15 hp kicker.

The reason for the limitations on the policy
is that small, single engined boats traveling alone tend to
get into trouble.

What kind of trouble? If it's engine trouble, then why don't they put the
same restrictions on single screw trawlers? If it's bad weather/rough seas,
then I'd bet my 25' Boston Whaler Outrage Cuddy would handle 'em better than
a 26' bow-rider or deck boat...but they would "qualify" according to Boat
US.

The insurance companies don't care about
*you*, they care about averages and trends.

Would I be less likely to file for a loss if my boat was 1 foot bigger?

They're a little
edgy about boats stored in coastal marinas? Wonder why....

It was State Farm that wouldn't write the policy based upon where I'm
storing it. Boat US didn't care where it was stored (unless, of course, I
took it to the Bahamas).

I understand your point; the robotic illogic would annoy me,
too. But the policy sounds ok otherwise.
At least BoatUS is solid and reliable. Going somewhere else
might be a crap shoot.

Agreed, but I'm still going to look.

Does anybody have experience with Progressive?

RG

Have you considered contacting a local independent insurance agent in your
area? One whose practice involves a considerable expertise if not outright
specialty in marine insurance? One who knows which carriers write in your
particular marketplace and what their respective strengths and weaknesses
are? One who presumably could find a carrier to meet your specific needs at
the best rates? I wouldn't think that finding such a person in the state of
Florida would be all that difficult. In the past, when I've had toothaches,
I've had very poor results practicing self-dentistry in front of a mirror.
Without fail better results have been achieved after visiting someone with
DDS on a shingle outside his office. Just a thought.

NOYB

I deal with an independent agent for my professional liability and business
fire/theft/liability insurance. I use a rep from Northwestern Mutual
Insurance to provide my business overhead, personal disability, and term
life policies. Honestly, I've always been with State Farm for auto, home,
and boats...and have never given any thought towards using an independent
agent. I figured that by just talking to other boaters I could choose the
right company and contact them myself. I'll definitely consider your advice
and see how an independent's policy compares to what I have right now with
Boat/US.

"RG" wrote in message
Have you considered contacting a local independent insurance agent in your
area? One whose practice involves a considerable expertise if not

outright
specialty in marine insurance? One who knows which carriers write in your
particular marketplace and what their respective strengths and weaknesses
are? One who presumably could find a carrier to meet your specific needs

at
the best rates? I wouldn't think that finding such a person in the state

of
Florida would be all that difficult. In the past, when I've had

toothaches,
I've had very poor results practicing self-dentistry in front of a mirror.
Without fail better results have been achieved after visiting someone with
DDS on a shingle outside his office. Just a thought.

NOYB

Here's an update on my original post. The first lady/robot I spoke with
over there at Boat/US was not very helpful. I called back, spoke with a guy
in underwriting, and I am very satisfied with his response. Here it is:

"Having reviewed your request for Bahamas coverage, I am now able to more
explicitly explain the conditions that you must meet before we are able to
provide a cruising limit that includes the Bahamas.

As your boat is currently rigged (specifically the single outboard and
relatively small size of the vessel), the only way we can insure the vessel
while traveling to and once in the Bahamas, is to issue endorsements to the
current policy on a case by case basis. Whether or not we are able to issue
such an endorsement relies almost exclusively on the number and size of
boats that would be traveling both to and from the Bahamas with you. More
simply put; if you wish to take your boat in its current condition to the
Bahamas, we well require you to cross both ways with a flotilla.

In the event that you re-power your boat with new twin outboards, we will
gladly supply you with year round coverage in and between the Bahamas for an
additional $100 per year.

In regards to Dry Tortugas coverage: your assessment of the language in the
printed cruising limit you received was correct, that is to say, you are
presently covered and have year round access to the Dry Tortugas and
surrounding waters.

I apologize for any inconsistencies that you received from us involving
conditions that must be met, actions that must be performed or minimum boat
size and power to receive Bahamas coverage. Typically, any boat under 30
feet is scrutinized fairly heavily to begin with. The length of your boat,
coupled with the single outboard, placed the vessel in a category of boat
that we do not usually grant access to the Bahamas. We have no exact set of
parameters used to dictate coverage, and it is because of this that you
received conflicting answers over the telephone. However, the upside of not
adhering to precise rules and guidelines is that we are able to make
exceptions for customers."

Boat/US seems like the company that I'll probably remain with thanks to this
well-thought-out response. The only thing that perplexes me is why they
would cover me on a trip to the Dry Tortugas (100+ miles), and not to the
Bahamas (approx. 50 miles from mainland US). Truth be told, I'll probably
not do either unless I repower...but I sure appreciated a decent answer to
the hypothetical.

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:
[...]

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

I've used BOAT/US for more than 10 years. I've never had to file a
claim, but I know people who have, and they were generally satisfied
with the outcome.

BOAT/US is a broker, and I believe it also engages in general
underwriting. Basically, it has fairly large insurance companies
fronting its paper, and earns a commission off each "sale."

Typically, some of these large insurance companies will not deal direct
with the consumer.

Email sent to will never reach me.

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
[...]

"NOYB" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

I wonder who truly *underwrites* the policies for them. The guy I spoke
with had for a title under his name "Marine Insurance Underwriting".

Nevertheless, I'll stick with 'em unless I hear some real negatives from
anybody that *has* tried to file a claim with them. I'm more than ****ed at
State Farm, however. I've been with them for as long as I've been old
enough to write a check and have had something worth insuring. The *only*
claim that I've ever even been party to against State Farm was when my dad's
and my boat was stolen. The boat was in his name and insured through him,
but we both had contents on board. We had to file through our individual
homeowner's policies for the contents. They, of course, applied his $1000
deductible and my $500 deductible to the $2000 total claim...and then
depreciated the remaining $500 worth of equipment down to $167. State Farm
sucks and I really don't know why I've even stayed with them up until now.
Their refusal to write a policy for my boat may have been the proverbial
straw that broke the camel's back. I'm shopping my coverage on everything
starting tomorrow.

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

I wonder who truly *underwrites* the policies for them. The guy I spoke
with had for a title under his name "Marine Insurance Underwriting".

Are you asking who takes the risk...or who decides whether the risk is
worth taking?

An underwriter typically assesses the risks in a particular piece of
impending business. Or are you asking who actually pays if a claim
occurs and is accepted?

BOAT/US probably does most of its own underwriting, but calls in
specialists when needed, such as for a very high value yacht. I know for
a fact it places its insurance with several companies.

Email sent to will never reach me.