posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Hand Crank for Yanmar 2GMF?

Hi,

does anyone know where I could find a
hand crank for a yanmar 2GMF?

The manual describes how to manually start it,
but makes no mention of where to get the
crank/handle to do so.

Thanks!

In .com writes:

Hi,

does anyone know where I could find a
hand crank for a yanmar 2GMF?

The manual describes how to manually start it,
but makes no mention of where to get the
crank/handle to do so.

Thanks!

Does this F stand for Fresh water cooling? If it does, you do not hand
crank it. I have had a Yanmar 2GM with seawater cooling, the handle came
with the engine and in front of the engine there was a small flywheel,
that acted as the sheave for the alternator belt. The axis of this
flywheel could be connected to the shaft.

It was quite difficult to get it going, you had to open the half
pressure walves rotate it and then suddenly close them, first the one
then the other.

Then I changed my engine to a new freshwater cooled engine and the same
belt that was driving the alternator drove the swee****er circuit and it
placed so, that you could not fit the crankshaft. So the end of the axis
was covered with a lid, bolted on by three bolts. So no cranking.

If you have to start it with very little current, opent the half
pressure walves, then your batteries might just be strong enough to
rotate the engine and when it rotates close the valves.

Then you bette to make another starting switch into the "engine room".
Short cables and you will find out that you have enough current even
though it will not start from the key in the cockpit.

- Lauri Tarkkonen