Peter Aitken

Default Attaching reg # to hull

We just got the Coast Guard registration for the new boat. It seems we have
to mark the registration number somewhere inside the hull so that it cannot
be removed or altered without it being obvious. I'd like to do this myself -
any suggestions as to how? THanks.

--
Peter Aitken

Eisboch

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
We just got the Coast Guard registration for the new boat. It seems we
have to mark the registration number somewhere inside the hull so that it
cannot be removed or altered without it being obvious. I'd like to do this
myself - any suggestions as to how? THanks.

--
Peter Aitken

I used a piece of teak - sanded it and burned the documentation number into
it using a wood burning iron. You need to get the specs - I think the
numbers are supposed to be a certain height. ( 2 -1/2 inches? )

Anyway, after I finished the board and put a cetol finish on it, I bolted it
to a bulkhead in the engine compartment. Technically, you are supposed to
glass it in, but I've never had anyone question it during any inspection,
including a boarding by the real Coast Guard.

Eisboch

Peter Aitken

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
I think you meant documentation number, not registration number.

Oh gee, thanks for the very useful response. I am sure that the fact that it
is a documentation number and not a registration number will make a huge
difference in how I attach it to the boat.

Peter Aitken

Chuck Tribolet

Absolutely.

Registration numbers go on the outside of the boat.

Boats can be registered with the state (or the USCG in Alaska) or, if big
enough, federally
documented with the USCG.

There are other requirements on documented boats.

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
. ..
"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
I think you meant documentation number, not registration number.

Oh gee, thanks for the very useful response. I am sure that the fact that
it is a documentation number and not a registration number will make a
huge difference in how I attach it to the boat.

Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:14:48 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

We just got the Coast Guard registration for the new boat. It seems we
have
to mark the registration number somewhere inside the hull so that it
cannot
be removed or altered without it being obvious. I'd like to do this
myself -
any suggestions as to how? THanks.

You mean documentation number, not registration.

From the USCG Documentation Center:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the
abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at
least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural
part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that
alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some
scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked
together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel
name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and
starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be
marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and
materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four
inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin
alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include
both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United
States. The state may be abbreviated.

Yes, thanks, I know all this - I am asking for a specific method to actually
affix the number to the hull.

--
Peter Aitken

Eisboch

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
news

Yes, thanks, I know all this - I am asking for a specific method to
actually affix the number to the hull.

--
Peter Aitken

If it is a USGC documentation number, you affix it somewhere visable in the
engine spaces, either on the inside of the hull, or like I did, on an engine
room bulkhead. Most are affixed with fiberglass although, as I mentioned
before, I bolted mine.

Eisboch