Lenny Stover

Default Question about older Mercruiser inboard

1st time poster...forgive my ignorance :-/

Last year I bought my *first* inboard equiped boat, a 1985 Glass Stream. It
is/was equiped with a '85 Mercruiser 140. Well, the second time out with
the boat, the motor fried. I have been trying for a year to arrange to have
the motor rebuilt, but it would cost more than I paid for the boat. Now my
question....

I have been told that my Mercruiser is identical to some car engine. I
don't know how true this is, but am wondering if anybody knows if there is a
car engine that is the same as an '85 Mercruiser 140 inboard. Sure would be
nice if there was a car engine that I could get from a boneyard that would
match up to my lower unit.

Any....and I mean *any* info I could get would be appreciated. The only
other boat I ever owned had an outboard engine and I am stumped about this
inboard stuff. Thanks in advance.