Trace

Default How to find a good used fiberglass boat?

Hello,

I am ready to buy a used boat on a budget of about $4000 for my family
for fishing and fun. There are so many brands for sale in the local
paper: Reinel, Sea Swirl, Sea Ray, etc... Are there any brands to
avoid, or ones that are in good shape? Can anyone give me tips on
what to check, and how, when looking at boats? Like should I check
the outdrive, and if so, how? I saw one locally that had a "Yamaha"
outdrive. Are there any brands of outdrive to avoid? Also, there are
so many motors, Chevy, OMC, Mercruiser. What's good and bad?

Thanks for any help!

Trace

Tony Thomas

Brand of boat is not a big deal in my opinion. Find something you like.
Brand of outdrive is a big deal. Don't buy an OMC or Yamaha outdrive.
Parts and service will be a problem.
Volvo is ok but a boat that is worth $4000 is going to have an older
outdrive and the old Volvo you don't want.
Bottom line, in the price and age your talking about - stick w/ Mercruiser.
The engine will be a Chevy engine that is modified by Mercruiser. Only
parts that are truely the same is the block itself. Starter, carb,
alternator, exhaust, heads, cam are all different for marine use.

What to check - transom (back of boat) and floor for rot. Hull for cracks.
Seats for rot. Everything work electrically to include guages. Engine run
fine and turn about $4500 rpms wide open. Prop look good (not dinged up).
Outdrive have water or metal in the oil. Engine have water or metal in the
oil. Check the oil after you run the boat (not before).
Check trailer tires for rot, trailer bolts and overall trailer for rust.
If everything looks good and checks at this point - then get an independent
inspection. They will check everything for you.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Trace" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I am ready to buy a used boat on a budget of about $4000 for my family
for fishing and fun. There are so many brands for sale in the local
paper: Reinel, Sea Swirl, Sea Ray, etc... Are there any brands to
avoid, or ones that are in good shape? Can anyone give me tips on
what to check, and how, when looking at boats? Like should I check
the outdrive, and if so, how? I saw one locally that had a "Yamaha"
outdrive. Are there any brands of outdrive to avoid? Also, there are
so many motors, Chevy, OMC, Mercruiser. What's good and bad?

Thanks for any help!

Trace

Jim G

"Trace" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I am ready to buy a used boat on a budget of about $4000 for my family
for fishing and fun. There are so many brands for sale in the local
paper: Reinel, Sea Swirl, Sea Ray, etc... Are there any brands to
avoid, or ones that are in good shape? Can anyone give me tips on
what to check, and how, when looking at boats? Like should I check
the outdrive, and if so, how? I saw one locally that had a "Yamaha"
outdrive. Are there any brands of outdrive to avoid? Also, there are
so many motors, Chevy, OMC, Mercruiser. What's good and bad?

Thanks for any help!

Trace

Yeah, you sure don't want one of the "old Volvo's"! My 1970 Donzi has
had a Volvo AQ250 behind it's Holman Moody 351W for 33 years... and
it's never had a problem! Never even opened the case! And that's on a
high-performance boat, that's run hard all the time.... He he!!

The older Volvo outdrives (250, 270, 280, 290) are probably the most
bullet-proof pieces of marine equipment ever built. Parts are still
available, too.
Trainfan1

Thanks, Jim G.

I drool over the old Volvo-pushed Donzi's whenever I see them. CLASSIC.
Those Volvos, new ones too, are really well engineered. I wouldn't hesitate
the least in considering one for purchase. You know how "sloppy" those
33-year-old Mercruisers get...

What is Your H-M 351 rated at? Should be 285-300hp in that range... Yes?

Rob
*
*
*

om...

"Trace" wrote in message
[...]

Clams Canino

The older Volvo outdrives are not that different from the early Mercruisers.
The same set of people designed both. See "Iron Fist" the chaper is titled
"The Great Stern Drive Conspiracy"

-W

om...

"Trace" wrote in message
[...]

Jim G

"Clams Canino" wrote in message news:USoab.382229$cF.114433@rwcrnsc53...
The older Volvo outdrives are not that different from the early Mercruisers.
The same set of people designed both. See "Iron Fist" the chaper is titled
"The Great Stern Drive Conspiracy"

-W

om...

"Trace" wrote in message
[...]

Trainfan1, my H-M 351W is rated at 290hp. I've kept the boat as
original as possible, and it's a real head-turner. Thanks!!
Wildest Dream

anybody know what an omc 351 spitfire 1993 is rated 5.8 ho. I don't get it
I have an omc dealer right down the road or can order part's online @
http://216.37.204.206/Actionsports/O...e=13&A=48&B=18 no
problem, but like everything marine they cost u plenty, I sttill have the
original manifold's and risers. and no problems here, I even froze it up
last winter with no damage but 2 blown freeze plugs $10. I don't get it what
is the problem with OMC? besides the outdrive is rather big and heavey, but
I bet its stronger than a merc. omc sx and volvo sx are the same outdrive?
"Jim G" wrote in message
m...
"Clams Canino" wrote in message

The older Volvo outdrives are not that different from the early

Mercruisers.
The same set of people designed both. See "Iron Fist" the chaper is

titled
"The Great Stern Drive Conspiracy"

-W

om...