MarshallE

Default Resin Injection into soft wood

Hi,

I have been reading about a process of restoring rotten wood by soaking
resin into the wood making it as good as new or better.

Are there other options for replacing rotten ribs and frames other than
traditional sawed or steam bent? (from the inside)

Is there any truth to this process or just more smoke and mirrors?

Thanks for the help on this question and the earlier one about boat repairs.

Marshall

Lew Hodgett

MarshallE wrote:
Hi,

I have been reading about a process of restoring rotten wood by soaking
resin into the wood making it as good as new or better.

Are there other options for replacing rotten ribs and frames other than
traditional sawed or steam bent? (from the inside)

Is there any truth to this process or just more smoke and mirrors?

Thing to remember about wood:

From compost ye come and to compost ye shall return.

It's just a matter of time.

Lew
Roger Derby

Unless it's encapsulated in amber.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. net...
MarshallE wrote:
I have been reading about a process of restoring rotten wood by soaking
resin into the wood making it as good as new or better.

Are there other options for replacing rotten ribs and frames other than
traditional sawed or steam bent? (from the inside)

Is there any truth to this process or just more smoke and mirrors?

Thing to remember about wood:
From compost ye come and to compost ye shall return.
It's just a matter of time.
Lew

Glenn Ashmore

There are some low viscosity epoxy products on the market that claim to
restore rotten wood. A few of them do restore the compression strength but
do not help the bending strength. They are great for salvaging antique
porch columns, thresholds and window sills but totally useless for boat
repair where the stresses are not all in compression.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"MarshallE" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have been reading about a process of restoring rotten wood by soaking
resin into the wood making it as good as new or better.

Are there other options for replacing rotten ribs and frames other than
traditional sawed or steam bent? (from the inside)

Is there any truth to this process or just more smoke and mirrors?

Thanks for the help on this question and the earlier one about boat
repairs.

Marshall

P.C. Ford

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:25:12 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

There are some low viscosity epoxy products on the market that claim to
restore rotten wood. A few of them do restore the compression strength but
do not help the bending strength. They are great for salvaging antique
porch columns, thresholds and window sills but totally useless for boat
repair where the stresses are not all in compression.

yep.

Let's put that solution in the smoke and mirrors column.

Ed Edelenbos

wrote:

There are some low viscosity epoxy products on the market that claim to
restore rotten wood. A few of them do restore the compression strength
but
do not help the bending strength. They are great for salvaging antique
porch columns, thresholds and window sills but totally useless for boat
repair where the stresses are not all in compression.

yep.

Let's put that solution in the smoke and mirrors column.

Hmmm.... I guess it must be different for working people. I've known
several boat yard operators and pile drivers who use this method (for their
own boats). Actually, the most common way is to use regular epoxy resin and
thin it with acetone to the right consistency. I know of a couple rib
repairs that are about 25 years old and still in place.

Ed

William R. Watt

There have been products around since the 1950's which are good for
treating planking but may not have the stength for ribs and beams. However
you can always build in structural reinforcement with glass fibre, metal,
wood, plywood, or some combination and have a repair which is stonger,
more rot resistent, and more durable than the original. For example you
can cut out the rot, drill holes, insert metal rods, and build up with
resin or in some cases cement mortar. It all depends on what parts you
need to repair. Watch the weight when replacing wood with non-wood
substitutes.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote

Hmmm.... I guess it must be different for working people. I've known
several boat yard operators and pile drivers who use this method (for
their own boats). Actually, the most common way is to use regular epoxy
resin and thin it with acetone to the right consistency. I know of a
couple rib repairs that are about 25 years old and still in place.

Well, I am making observations from experience. The family company manages
a number (like over 1,000) older single family and duplex rentals, many of
which have wood porches. We use a variety of epoxies to restore rotten
porch columns where the local Historic Preservation committee insists that
restoration match the original. We have found that it works fine for trim
and column bases but will not hold up on railings, floor planks and other
parts than may be loaded in bending.

Epoxy stabilizes the wood and prevents further rotting but it has much lower
tensile strength than the wood and is considerably less resiliant. Unless
the part is reinforced with carefully aligned glass fiber it will not be up
to the task.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ed Edelenbos

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote

[...]

Our experiential data conflicts. In the end, we'll each go with what works
for us... probably with equal confidence. Your last statement above is
nonsense in the real world though. It looks nice in type.

Ed

P.C. Ford

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:11:19 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"
wrote:

[...]

Huh? If you have any proof whatsoever that epoxy treated rotten wood
regains strength please share it. This certainly goes against 30 years
of experience as a boatwright spcializing in restoration.

We'll wait right here.