milwaukee bill

Default US1 by Advance Sailing Corp

I'm looking for information on the US 1 sailboat built by Advance Sailing of
Kansas City MO in about 1988. Any info or diagrams on rigging etc. would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee bill View Post
I'm looking for information on the US 1 sailboat built by Advance Sailing of
Kansas City MO in about 1988. Any info or diagrams on rigging etc. would be
appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello. I have restored a 1978 Advance US1 Sailboat and am currently racing it. If You have any questions just let me know. I also would appreciate receiving any info that you have found. Thanks, ChuckR
Junior Member

Location: N.E. PA

Ooh!ooh! A flicker in the darkness!

I've been looking for a while and there's definitely not a whole lot out there about these. I found a data tidbit today, 450 US-1 hulls built compared to 150,000+ Lasers. Good grief.

I have one that I bought as a repair project, (transom is rotted out.) It's been in the weeds for a couple years and I've finally gotten around to working on it. This is my first foray in to fiberglass repairs. Hasn't been too bad so far.
Question you may be able to answer; I'm seeing what looks like stress cracks on the outside of the hull below where the mast step is. Have you seen any of that? Any thoughts? If I have to go digging, now would be the time while the grinder is still close at hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
Hello. I have restored a 1978 Advance US1 Sailboat and am currently racing it. If You have any questions just let me know. I also would appreciate receiving any info that you have found. Thanks, ChuckR
Junior Member

My US1 was somewhat of a project also, the centerboard trunk and transom had some rot and it was mising the sail but the rest of the boat looked like it had not been sailed much. The load on the mast base when going upwind would be downward but anything off the wind is starts to lift so it is IMPERATIVE that you secure the mast down tight on to the base. I have been sailing it with the mast in the forward most position. Check the build up around the step for rot because the boat seems to be a fairly sturdy design. If you send me your email I can shoot you some pictures of the finished boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatulew View Post
Ooh!ooh! A flicker in the darkness!

I've been looking for a while and there's definitely not a whole lot out there about these. I found a data tidbit today, 450 US-1 hulls built compared to 150,000+ Lasers. Good grief.

I have one that I bought as a repair project, (transom is rotted out.) It's been in the weeds for a couple years and I've finally gotten around to working on it. This is my first foray in to fiberglass repairs. Hasn't been too bad so far.
Question you may be able to answer; I'm seeing what looks like stress cracks on the outside of the hull below where the mast step is. Have you seen any of that? Any thoughts? If I have to go digging, now would be the time while the grinder is still close at hand...

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
My US1 was somewhat of a project also, the centerboard trunk and transom had some rot and it was mising the sail but the rest of the boat looked like it had not been sailed much. The load on the mast base when going upwind would be downward but anything off the wind is starts to lift so it is IMPERATIVE that you secure the mast down tight on to the base. I have been sailing it with the mast in the forward most position. Check the build up around the step for rot because the boat seems to be a fairly sturdy design. If you send me your email I can shoot you some pictures of the finished boat.
My son is looking for the correct way to rig his US1 sailboat. Any photos of your rigging would be a great help to him. Thanks
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
My US1 was somewhat of a project also, the centerboard trunk and transom had some rot and it was mising the sail but the rest of the boat looked like it had not been sailed much. The load on the mast base when going upwind would be downward but anything off the wind is starts to lift so it is IMPERATIVE that you secure the mast down tight on to the base. I have been sailing it with the mast in the forward most position. Check the build up around the step for rot because the boat seems to be a fairly sturdy design. If you send me your email I can shoot you some pictures of the finished boat.
Hi guys--

I hope that this thread is still active. I just picked up a 1975 US1 and I'm in need of a sail and a rudder/tiller/assembly. Any ideas on where I can find these things (or, at least the appropriate dimensions so that I can fabricate a rudder, if need be)?

Also, I'd be really interested in seeing your remodel pictures! I'm new to sailing (even though this is my third project dinghy since October), and any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
David Ikard