Alan Gomes

Default Hood 810LD Furler

Steve,

One of the riggers I have used highly recommends the Harken unit. (For my
Catalina 30 he suggests a Harken Unit 1, Mk-III.) So I've got that one on my
short list. Which model do you have? What do you know about the Schaeffer
units? They look like they might be built a bit better, but my rigger favors
the Harken because of being lighter (less weight aloft).

--Alan

"Steve" wrote in message

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
I have this furler on a 1987 Catalina 30 that I purchased last August.

It
can indeed furl in both directions.

It's not a very good unit and I would not recommend buying one. Many

owners
complain of problems with it, especially with partially furling the

sail.
Specifically, the continuous line does not always hold the drum solidly

in
position and the drum can slip, causing the sail to unfurl. This can be
minimized (though not always eliminated) by being careful to maintain
tension on both sides of the furling line when cleating it off. Hood, by

the
way, acknowledges the inadequacy of this unit for reefing the sail and

sells
an "upgrade kit" for people wanting to use that feature reliably. (See
below.)

Alan is correct in this regard.. I didn't mention it because, from my
experience with this unit, the sail never sets properly when partially
furled.. There-in is the problem.. Because of the type of swivels used,

this
furler is only good for a furler and only works for reefing for a very

brief
period (through a squal line).

It is best to consider this unit as a furler, not as roller reefing

system..
If you want a roller reefing system as well, talk to your sail maker and
purchase a Harken or others that have a double swivel in the halyard

swivel,
so your foil swivels independent of the halyard swivel. This give a

tighter
furl/roll. (hard to explan here.)

I presently have a Harken MKII 2.5 and I'm very happy with it.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
Steve,

short list. Which model do you have? What do you know about the Schaeffer
units?

I had to choose between the Hood Seafurl and Harken Unit 2.5 MKII. (both
were used, off a Shannon 50).. Both needed rebuild of the swivels..

I tried contacting both Hood and Harken.. Guess how responded to my request
for assistance.. The rebuild on the Harken went very easy and cost me about
$180 for new sets of bearings. The manual was available for download
online..

Since I still have the Hood Seafurl and want to sell it, I have still been
trying to get some model information from Hood.. They respond but don't seem
to understand their old model discriptions and give my incorrect
information.. Even though I have sent them pictures of the drum and swivel..

The Harken is great, very easy to operate single handed.. With a prefeeder,
I can hoist/change sails as easy as a hanked on sail (easier).

For me, the down side of the Harken, was the complications of installation
in the field with my rod head stay.. You have to have the rod 'headed' after
the foil section connectors are on the rod.. So if you ever want to remove
the unit, you have to a problem removing the foils from the head stay..
(BTW. Rod rigging can't be 'headed' in the field.)

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bobsprit

I had one of these on my Pearson 30 and it was bullet proof/jam proof unit. I
can't imagine how it could jam when installed and used correctly and that's NOT
the case with spooling units.
I wish my C&C 32 had one instead of the Harken!

Capt RB
C&C 32
NY

Alan Gomes

The problem with this unit is that it tends to unfurl a partially reefed
sail. More than a few owners have had this problem with it. (This model came
as standard issue on Catalinas for a number of years; most owners who have
commented on them in the Catalina 30 list-serve are not too enthusiastic
about them.) Even Hood acknowledges the problem with reefing and says that
the continuous line units such as the 810 LD should be upgraded to a single
line unit if one wishes to use it for reefing.

You are probably correct about it being jam resistant, though.

What don't you like about the Harken? Which model do you have on your C&C?
I've heard that Harken makes a good furler.

--Alan Gomes

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I had one of these on my Pearson 30 and it was bullet proof/jam proof

unit. I
can't imagine how it could jam when installed and used correctly and

that's NOT
the case with spooling units.
I wish my C&C 32 had one instead of the Harken!

Capt RB
C&C 32
NY

Bobsprit

Even Hood acknowledges the problem with reefing and says that
the continuous line units such as the 810 LD should be upgraded to a single
line unit if one wishes to use it for reefing.

You are probably correct about it being jam resistant, though.

What don't you like about the Harken? Which model do you have on your C&C?
I've heard that Harken makes a good furler.

When I learned about the hood, I found that it was NOT a reefer, only a furler.
Used in that regard it was excellent. We made occasional headsail changes when
conditions warranted. We found that we could reef with it, but I could easily
see that larger cam cleats were in order for it to be a reliable system.
I have an Older harken II on the C&C 32. It's only jammed once and it certainly
needed adjustment, but I feel that ALL spooling furlers can jam for some reason
ot another and the continuous line can't. I had a pretty bad experience with a
new scheafer unit as well, at least until I got it "just right." No such
worries with the Hood, which never required anything.

RB

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 1:22:50 PM UTC-5, Hmseconomy wrote:
Anyone familiar with this continuous loop furler? I'd like to know if this
furler can furl in either clockwise AND counterclockwise directions.

Anyone know of a source for a section of headstay foil. Mine is bent.
Dane

boat hood for motor main General 4 May 24th 04 11:05 PM
Outboard Hood Repair Chris Ey General 11 November 3rd 03 07:35 PM