SAIL LOCO

Default Damm Roaches

I would think if you removed all the food from the boat they would either die
off or leave.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
basskisser

Vito wrote in message ...
Keith wrote:

I've never had a roach problem on a boat before, but have got one now. ...
Any ideas?

Boric acid powder.

I second that. Great stuff. You can use foggers, etc to keep them at
bay while the boric acid does it's thing, but all in all, the boric
acid powder is THE way to get rid of them permanently. Look for brand
names such as Roach Pruf, etc., put the stuff behind, under over
anything and everything.
Paul

Geez, I knew that at one time and I had forgotten all about it. Must be that
blue crayon in my brain.

Carbon dioxide (from dry ice) is a simple asphyxiant. If it displaces
the oxygen in the air it will kill you, but it takes quite a bit of
it. You can be exposed to 30,000 ppm for 15 minutes and still be OK.

Carbon monoxide at 1500 ppm may lead to death, and the 15 minute
exposure limit is 35 ppm for an hour. This is because without the
extra oxygen molecule, CO has a 200 to 300 times great affinity for
hemoglobin than oxygen does. So even if there is enough oxygen
present, the CO will kick it off the hemoglobin and you will die. So
it isn't just a simple asphyxiant any more.

grandma Rosalie

carlp

"Dale" wrote in message
link.net...
This stuff works better than anything I have ever seen. 4 parts Boric
Acid powder, 2 parts flour and 1 part cocoa powder (like Hersey's) and
spread it liberally around the boat, under cabinets and things. I know
this is ridiculous to say but don't let it get wet. It will make a
mess. I know one person who used this in their apartment and it cleaned
out the entire building. It takes a few weeks to work though.

/////////////////
Judging by all the good information you all have given I think its a matter
of finding out what the life cycle is and the egg laying cycle the hatching
period is 4 to 5 weeks someone said, the real point is here once you have
killed off the adults how long before new hatch start laying
so it is a repeat killing process at least four times as I SEE IT., miss one
and get reinfested.
Carl

carlp

Roaches usually infest a boat, by being carried on board in cardboard boxes
their favourite mode of transfer.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
Horace Brownbag wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:58:05 GMT, "Mark Browne"
wrote:
snip

Errr....why not just go buy a chunk of dryice, toss it in and close the
boat up?

snip
In a chicken breeding operation the people that sex chickens kill the males
by throwing them in a bucket with a chunk of dry ice - the vapor kills the
young chicks very effectively. Life is short and thankless for most male
chicks.

I've hooked a small pipe to a CO2 tank, and probed small containers of
grain. Screw the top back on, and see no weevil, hear no weevil, and
best yet, eat no weevil.

Small concentration are lethal to many, many critters.

Weevils are extra protein.

grandma Rosalie
Steve Christensen

In article , Rosalie B. says...

x-no-archive:yes "Paul" wrote:

Errr....why not just go buy a chunk of dryice, toss it in and close the
boat up?

One extra Oxygen molecule.

But it's not available is it? I thought it would be bound up and unusable.
We spray it on a fire to choke it out so I figured it may have oxygen but
it's not available. For that matter, water has oxygen too doesn't it? But
you can't breathe it since it's not available.

I may be wrong ... I'm just wondering.

Carbon dioxide (from dry ice) is a simple asphyxiant. If it displaces
the oxygen in the air it will kill you, but it takes quite a bit of
it. You can be exposed to 30,000 ppm for 15 minutes and still be OK.

Carbon monoxide at 1500 ppm may lead to death, and the 15 minute
exposure limit is 35 ppm for an hour. This is because without the
extra oxygen molecule, CO has a 200 to 300 times great affinity for
hemoglobin than oxygen does. So even if there is enough oxygen
present, the CO will kick it off the hemoglobin and you will die. So
it isn't just a simple asphyxiant any more.

Roselie is correct about the CO being more than an asphyxiant. But the object
of all this is to kill roaches, right? It's been awhile since college zoology,
but I don't think roaches even have circulatory systems, let alone hemoglobin.

I have frozen roaches in liquid nitrogen (when bored during a late night in the
lab) only to have them thaw out and crawl away. Hardy little beasts. Does
anyone even know whether depriving them of oxygen (with CO, CO2, N2, whatever)
will kill them? I bet it's damn hard to do.

Steve Christensen

Doug Kanter

wrote in message

Wait until Keith Richards dies, and find out what killed him. That
will be your answer.

BB

ROFL!!!

Horace Brownbag

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:07:53 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

wrote:
snip

Errr....why not just go buy a chunk of dryice, toss it in and close the
boat up?

snip
In a chicken breeding operation the people that sex chickens kill the males
by throwing them in a bucket with a chunk of dry ice - the vapor kills the
young chicks very effectively. Life is short and thankless for most male
chicks.

I've hooked a small pipe to a CO2 tank, and probed small containers of
grain. Screw the top back on, and see no weevil, hear no weevil, and
best yet, eat no weevil.

Small concentration are lethal to many, many critters.

Weevils are extra protein.

Tuck in, Granny.

I went through a period where we were tired of throwing out the roach
infected food...so we ate with our eyes closed. No thanks....