Tony Abbott

Default Water Line - Paint or Tape?

What kind of paint or tape does one use to apply the waterline? I've used
the Interlux thus far and want to add a 4"-6" water line. Suggestions?

Thanks...

BruceM

Epoxy undercoat & hit it with your anti-fouling while "just tacky"
BruceM..
ps... is it a 10 ft dingy or what?.......

"Tony Abbott" wrote in message
What kind of paint or tape does one use to apply the waterline? I've used
the Interlux thus far and want to add a 4"-6" water line. Suggestions?

Thanks...

Ron Magen

FWIW -
We applied a 'strip' of 1 inch RED 'Automotive Trim Tape' as a 'Boot Top' to
the hull of our WWP-19. So far it has lasted about 5 years; in the water,
annual pressure washes, and winters on the trailer.

Several minor 'chips & tears' on the edges, but TIGHT throughout. I would
say use 4 or 5 slightly overlapping 'wraps' to get the taller Boot Top. They
should hold, I did the same thing in BLUE to a white inflatable buoy for my
required mooring marker. In addition, sometimes a 'theoretical' line doesn't
work - visually. This way, you can apply the Boot Top incrementally - until
it 'looks right' to YOU.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
PS: give it a bit of upward 'sweep' at the bow & stern, rather than
geometrically straight along the 'line'. Just works better to the eye . . .
at least for sailboats.

"Tony Abbott" wrote in message
What kind of paint or tape does one use to apply the waterline? I've used
the Interlux thus far and want to add a 4"-6" water line. Suggestions?

Thanks...

Jim Conlin

If the hull has any flare, a tape of a constant width won't look right when
viewed from the side. In my last boat, the boot top had a constant vertical
dimension of 2" and varied up to about 8" on the hull.

Tony Abbott wrote:

What kind of paint or tape does one use to apply the waterline? I've used
the Interlux thus far and want to add a 4"-6" water line. Suggestions?

Thanks...

Donny

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:58:36 GMT, "Tony Abbott"
wrote:

What kind of paint or tape does one use to apply the waterline? I've used
the Interlux thus far and want to add a 4"-6" water line. Suggestions?

Thanks...

Hi Tony,

I used Interlux Bootstripe paint, taped with blue masking tape, and
applied slowly with a 1½" wide brush. Got LOTS of compliments, and at
the end of the season, it looks brand new still.

My 2¢

Donny

1974 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html
stevej

I have used One Shot brand lettering enamel for this with good results.
Mfg'd by Consumers Paint in Chicago and distributed where graphic art
supplies are sold. Ask your local sign shop. Hard to find because it
contains lead. Extremely durable, fade resistant, covers in one coat.