Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

On 5/24/2017 5:16 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 13:34:15 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 5/24/2017 12:40 PM, Its Me wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 12:29:43 PM UTC-4, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:19:22 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:35:03 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

Anyone use one of these systems? I'm thinking of putting this on the RV. Seen too many horrific
results of blowouts on the highway.

http://eezrvproduct.com/products/tir...systems-tpms-4

We have them on the Lincoln. Expect to replace some sensors whenever
they break down a tire because the tire guys usually trash them.

I suppose I could always take off the sensors before any tire work is done.

I think Greg is talking about the factory internal sensors. Both my car and my wife's has those, and we've had new tires mounted and haven't lost one yet. I'm sure it does happen though.

The system you're looking at has external sensors which replace the valve stem cap, so as you say, you could just remove them and replace with the plastic caps until the tire work is complete.

BTW, the Amazon reviews were very positive. One thing I did notice is that someone said the monitor placement was critical in getting a good, solid signal from all the sensors.

I've had several cars with the factory tire pressure monitoring systems.

The Altima I drive now has a cool feature. If you leave the ignition on
(but engine off) when adding air to a tire, the car horn will beep when
the tire is at 32 psi. Don't need a tire gauge.

I am not convinced these things are that accurate.

I would *never* expect that *you* would. :-)

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

Does it adjust for temperature? That would be great if the tire was
cold before you took off for a drive.

I think it does. I can display the air pressure in all four tires on
the car's information display. I noticed that in the winter when it is
cold and before I drive anywhere the pressures will indicate 30 psi. or
so. After driving for a while the pressure in all four tires will rise
by about 2 psi as the tires warm up. It reads in tenths of a lb, ie.
"31.8 psi" for each tire so it's fairly sensitive.

wrote:

[...]

No reason to think that they are less accurate than a graduated stick in a metal tube (tire pressure gauge).

A agree but if you are willing to spend a few more bucks you can get a
real gauge. You will do as well with the tube and stick on the
inflator at the gas station as you do with the stick gauge and they
are notoriously bad.
What I do know is the Lincoln just says low tire and putting air in
the one with the lowest pressure will not turn it off. Based on
experimenting it seems one sensor triggers about 4 PSI different than
the others

wrote:

[...]

My Volt has the factory system. Works pretty well. I know friends who
have problems when they go to the mountains, 6000' or so. Gives a low
pressure reading. An aside in the no pressure gauge. Got the trucks
oil,changed in Santa Monica one time when visiting daughter. Start to
drive home and truck is squirrelly as heck. They had adjusted the tire
pressure to 32 on all the tires. Truck has 55 in front and 80 in back or
the reverse. Says it on the door jam.

wrote:

[...]

I like the old stick gauge,I keep one in each vehicle, and its alot easier reading for me at least.

Tho on my last Baja trip with the truck I had Cooper A/T tires mounted before I left, While offroad I went to drop the air pressure on the sand and washboard roads finding out the new tires are rated 80 psi after it blew the stick out.
Holy crap 80psi who'd a thunk!

wrote:

[...]

It's not spot on accuracy I worry about. It's losing 10-20 lbs rapidly, or the temperature
increasing rapidly that worries me. I like the idea of a warning alarm when either occurs.

wrote:

[...]

That's the recommended cold pressure for the tires on my trailer.

wrote:

[...]

Driving north on a hot, sunny afternoon on I-81 will raise the tire temp a bunch. I wonder how the
TPMS compensates, if at all. I suppose if both driver-side tires are at the same (higher) temp then
the fear would be reduced. I wish they also made a wheel bearing temp monitoring system.

Tire pressure indicators RCE General 6 April 1st 06 02:28 AM
Tire pressure indicators katekebo General 6 March 31st 06 09:09 AM
Tire pressure indicators Bishoop General 0 March 30th 06 07:24 PM
Battery Monitoring System Aquaholic Cruising 1 March 22nd 06 01:56 PM
DIY - boat monitoring system Mic Cruising 2 September 19th 05 04:05 AM