posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships

Default AD: Sailing history tampers

Greetings,

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

It may seem shameless to post an ad here on Christmas Day, but I thought
that the item I'm showing is innocuous enough that it shouldn't be too
much of an irritant.

If there are any tobacco pipe smokers among the crew here, you might be
interested in some pipe tamper sets I've made.

The sets each include two deck spikes which were made expressly for the
restoration of the U.S.S.Constitution (a.k.a. "Old Ironsides") just
prior to America's Bicentennial celebrations in 1976. Extra spikes that
wound up not being used were sold off by one of the metal suppliers for
the project. I bought a batch of them because they are made from
genuine wrought iron, not steel, and I'm a hobby level blacksmith. I
haven't had the heart however, to forge them into other things, so came
up with the idea of making pipe tampers from them.

One tamper in each set I left completely unchanged. The only change to
the others was that I ground and polished the head to a mirror finish.
Either one can be used as a tamper of course, but the intent is for the
ones with polished heads to be used that way.

In all, each set includes the two deck spikes, a stand for them which I
made of brass and white oak and a folder containing a full history of
the metal that went into the spikes and full description of how they
were made. Each set also includes signed set number cards (this is of
course a limited offering - there are 85 sets left from 100 produced)
and a copy of the letter of authenticity from The Tremont Nail Company
of Wareham, Massachusetts.

For a picture and ordering details, go to:

http://www.canaltownanvil.org/

Best regards to all,
Bert
--
Si vis pacem, para bellum. To those who have served or are serving the
cause of freedom in peace or in war at home or abroad, thank you.

Given BP's history... hk General 12 May 9th 10 05:34 AM
The History of Alt. Sailing.Asa Capt. Rob ASA 11 February 6th 06 05:03 PM
History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle DuLaze Tall Ships 0 June 17th 04 04:22 PM
History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle DuLaze Boat Building 0 June 17th 04 04:10 PM
1812 Sailing Warship - 10:30 tonight History Channel Larry W4CSC Cruising 0 November 10th 03 04:14 AM