posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Default 17 vs 19 , Lake Huron

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:59:47 +0000 (UTC), Drew Cutter
wrote:

I'm looking to do some paddle (sea kayak) on lake Huron. For 3-5 days
worth of camping. Should i buy a 17 foot (overnight kayak) or go for
expedition size (19') kayak ?

Depends on what you take, what you're like, and too much stuff to
figure.

I once did the Namekagon and St. Croix for 5 days in a Perception
Dancer whitewater kayak that was about 12 feet long. I did stop at a
state park and get a bit of food along the way at one point. Otherwise
I lived out of the 'yak. I packed light and tight. If I did it
again, I'd have a better sleeping bag, but could still fit it in or on
the 'yak.

In 3 to 5 days you won't starve, even if you don't have any food at
all. Your only real needs will be water and shelter. Concentrate on
them and then worry about food and cooking it.

Then you get the question of buying or renting. Are you sure you'll
do more trips? Do you know exactly which kayak of those lengths you'd
buy? Have you paddled both of them?

If the answer to any of the above is no, I'd advise renting or
borrowing the 'yak.
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

17 vs 19 , Lake Huron Darryl Touring 0 September 13th 06 07:49 PM
Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM
Puts Lake Superior to shame Capt. Neal® ASA 5 December 16th 04 05:25 PM
Bad News for Lake Erie: From the Toledo Blade RGrew176 General 4 September 27th 03 03:10 PM
The 4th and boating.Lake Oroville. basskisser General 9 July 14th 03 06:24 PM