posted to alt.sailing

Default Abandoned SY Elusive seen 1mo. later mid-Atlantic by SY Marlin

Just to illustrate the rough rule my instructors and skippers try
to hammer into me every time: "We only abandon ship if we really,
really must (mostly uncontrollable fire or flooding) - The ship is
tougher than you are and a nicer place to stay in a storm than
a liferaft."

SY Elusive was abandoned on 23 May 2014 350 miles east of Virgina Beach;
crew was transferred to a nearby freighter.[1]

About a month later, the crew of SY Marlin on their way from the
Bermudas to the Azores sighted the Elusive. After verifying with
USCG that the ship was abandoned, and considering the legal hassles
to do anything with it even if they spared enough crew to sail it
somewhere, too, they let it continue its drifting.[2]

Regards,
-is

[1] http://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessel...-may-14-a.html
[2] http://www.sy-marlin.de/?m=20140623

--
A medium apple... weighs 182 grams, yields 95 kcal, and contains no
caffeine, thus making it unsuitable for sysadmins. - Brian Kantor

FINALLY, I think I found the elusive Lobster boat [email protected] General 4 November 11th 08 02:05 PM
LAWSUIT FILED TO PROTECT ATLANTIC WHITE MARLIN Capt. Dave General 0 January 23rd 04 02:38 AM
Parasitic Current Drain Source Elusive Bob McMillan Electronics 3 July 31st 03 05:25 PM
Marlin Spike Tom General 0 July 29th 03 01:58 AM
Marlin Spike Tom ASA 0 July 27th 03 02:41 PM