nfisherman

Default Outboard upgrade

I have an 18 ft. Lund Fisherman with a Yamaha F115 motor. I'm
thinking of upgrading to the new Yamaha F150, the maximum rated hp for
my boat. My boat's top speed now is approximately 40 mph w/2 people
and gear. I mostly use the boat for fishing, but there's some
occasional waterskiing.

What kind of performance increase could I expect by adding 35 hp,
assuming comparable props?

Any ideas on the trade in value of the 2000 F115? I'm trying to
decide if there would be enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

Thanks.
Calif Bill

Paul Schilter

nffisherman,
I have to wonder how much faster do you want to go? 40 sounds pretty
healthy to me. If you were into racing I'd understand it or a professional
tournament fisherman perhaps. I agree there is something to bigger is
better, but at least for me there's financial limitations, sort of like
return on investments. If the goal is to pull skiers better, perhaps a prop
change would help at a loss to higher top speed. Please don't take this as a
criticism, if you have the need for speed and 40 doesn't get it, by all
means go for it. Happy boating!
Paul

"nfisherman" wrote in message
m...
I have an 18 ft. Lund Fisherman with a Yamaha F115 motor. I'm
thinking of upgrading to the new Yamaha F150, the maximum rated hp for
my boat. My boat's top speed now is approximately 40 mph w/2 people
and gear. I mostly use the boat for fishing, but there's some
occasional waterskiing.

What kind of performance increase could I expect by adding 35 hp,
assuming comparable props?

Any ideas on the trade in value of the 2000 F115? I'm trying to
decide if there would be enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

Thanks.

del cecchi

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
[...]

A generally accepted rule of thumb is that speed goes as the square root
of HP (or power/weight). So increasing HP by 150/115 will get you about
15% more speed or 6 mph. Or you could call up Lund in Minnesota and ask
them.

del cecchi

nfisherman

Thanks for all of the comments. I emailed a local dealer yesterday to
confirm how much this upgrade would cost. It came to about $7,500.
That's over $1,000 per MPH increase. Of course with a boat,there's
always the gee whiz factor, but besides that there isn't much of a
reason to upgrade. I'll wait a few years until my baby boy grows up
enough to fish with me. I'll convince the wife that I need a new boat
to keep our son safe and then I'll trade the whole rig in for a new
Lund and a bigger motor.

(nfisherman) wrote in message om...
I have an 18 ft. Lund Fisherman with a Yamaha F115 motor. I'm
thinking of upgrading to the new Yamaha F150, the maximum rated hp for
my boat. My boat's top speed now is approximately 40 mph w/2 people
and gear. I mostly use the boat for fishing, but there's some
occasional waterskiing.

What kind of performance increase could I expect by adding 35 hp,
assuming comparable props?

Any ideas on the trade in value of the 2000 F115? I'm trying to
decide if there would be enough of an improvement to justify the cost.

Thanks.

Rod McInnis

"nfisherman" wrote in message
m...

What kind of performance increase could I expect by adding 35 hp,
assuming comparable props?

First, I would expect that you would want a bigger/higher pitched prop on
the new motor. If you keep the prop the same size then you would probably
have the engine RPMs to high at top end.

If you are measuring performance on top speed alone you might be
disappointed. Where the extra HP will have the greatest impact is when you
are pulling a water skier or have the boat loaded down with extra people
and/or gear.

Rod