Bill Carter

Default Islander 36

I have an I36 who's sea berth has been removed. Does anybody have the
drawing so I can add the berth into the boat? Or does anyone have any
advice or help concerning I36 sea berths?

Mark

"Bill Carter" wrote
I have an I36 who's sea berth has been removed. Does anybody have the
drawing so I can add the berth into the boat? Or does anyone have any
advice or help concerning I36 sea berths?

I have an Islander 36 w/original factory sea berth, if what you mean
is the pilot berth above the starboard salon settee. I don't know of
any drawings but if an I36 with sea berth is nearby, it's all plywood
and a piano hinge; you could take measurements and make one yourself.
You could even improve on the original design, weight-wise by using
fiberglass-foam sandwich panels, nicer locking system, etc.

One caution: I'm 6'4" and although the berth is plenty long (all are
in an I36), it's only 18" from the foam pad to the underside of the
deck on the outboard side, making getting in and out interesting, and
turning over major haiku. I've only slept in it a few times, and it
was uncomfortable.

OTOH, having a hinge up seatback is useful; in a seaway the outer
edge of the berth becomes a good handhold and shrinks the cabin width
by two feet, making the cabin safer. The berth becomes a big shelf
for throwing stuff.