Padeen

Default ICOM 706 MKIIG for cruising?

Anyone use this little mobile unit for cruising? What would be its
advantages/disadvantages over the 710? It seems to have a broader band
selection, and is smaller/lighter.

TIA

Padeen

John Proctor

In article
,
"Padeen" wrote:

Anyone use this little mobile unit for cruising? What would be its
advantages/disadvantages over the 710? It seems to have a broader band
selection, and is smaller/lighter.

TIA

Padeen

The 706 is a very popular rig in the mobile amateur population
downunder. The real question is how well it will last in the marine
environment but with the detachable head the main unit can be put in a
protected location. Also if you are usinging the AT-130 remeber that the
auto tune signal out of the 706 is at a slightly lower voltage level
than the IC-M710. Also you may find the limited memories (I think 110 or
near there) a little limiting when you start to load up all the ITU
maritime frequencies. Dare I also say it is not type approved so there
can be a minor problem there as well. But if you have an Amateur license
it is a great little rig.

--
John VK3JP

Laurent I

Very good ! I use it (first model) on my boat with a SGC 231 coupler close
to the backstay. It is very helpful to have a remote panel to install the
unit where you want. Regards. Laurent.

"Padeen" a écrit dans le message de
Anyone use this little mobile unit for cruising? What would be its
advantages/disadvantages over the 710? It seems to have a broader band
selection, and is smaller/lighter.

TIA

Padeen

Larry W4CSC

It is illegal to use ham radio equipment on the marine bands. All
equipment must be at least "type accepted".....

However, lots of ham equipment is being used on the marine bands all
the time, these days.

The main disadvantage of the ham equipment is that the marine radios,
like our Icom M802 aboard Lionheart, is channelized for all the marine
frequencies, even to the point that the display tells you what special
purposes the current channel is used for, like the one the Coasties
are monitoring on this band. You COULD program the memories in the
better ham radios to the ITU marine channels with the list from
several sources, I suppose.

By the way, if you decide to go whole hog and get the beautifully
engineered, but poorly sealed, M802, you can switch from channelized
marine mode to "wide open" frequency mode by holding down MODE + 2 and
pressing TX buttons. This combo toggles it back and forth. When I go
aboard, I toggle it into open for use on the ham bands. When I leave
the boat, I switch it back to marine channels only to keep my
non-technical captain out of Federal prison, limiting his transmitting
to marine channels, only. It really is a beautifully-operating radio.

Oh, the ham rigs are, typically, 100W. The marine radios are 150
watts output. Power IS our friend....(c;

Sailnet has great prices on Icom Marine radios.....

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:16:03 GMT, "Padeen"
wrote:

Anyone use this little mobile unit for cruising? What would be its
advantages/disadvantages over the 710? It seems to have a broader band
selection, and is smaller/lighter.

TIA

Padeen

Padeen

It is illegal to use ham radio equipment on the marine bands. All
equipment must be at least "type accepted".....

However, lots of ham equipment is being used on the marine bands all
the time, these days.

.... but maybe hams, with a license to lose, would be wise to avoid "common
practices"? OTOH, how is this enforced?

It looks like the main 706 drawback is power, as it's bandwidth is greater
and price lower. If I eventually get a boat that's already equipped with a
full marine radio, the 706 will be a good backup.

Please feel free to contradict!

Thanks,

Padeen

Leanne

"Padeen" wrote in message
Anyone use this little mobile unit for cruising? What would be

its
advantages/disadvantages over the 710? It seems to have a

broader band
selection, and is smaller/lighter.

I have used one of the original 706 radios on Fundy for the last
6 1/2 years with
the AH-4 autotuner. For the ham bands it has been a great little
radio with the capability of being able to listen to a lot of
other things. Some day, we will upgrade, but for now it does all
we want.

Leanne