Scott Vernon

Default Fall Sail on the Chesapeake Bay

I've always said that Fall is the best time to sail the Chesapeake
Bay. I had some absolutely beautiful weather, and only had to sail in
rain twice, for less than an hour each time. great winds, too. Here's
a log book style trip report;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, needed four dock carts to carry all the 'junk' to the
boat. Met a guy who was crying because his wife had sold his boat.
Sad! Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to anchor.

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and recovered it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up anchor 1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get free. How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a tiring downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves. Arrive at
Solomons Island , press starter button, ...nothing. The main battery
cable broke off above the terminal end. Jump with spare wire to get
started, anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., Fix cable end, weigh anchor 1100. moderate, 5-10 wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy boat. At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in Smith Creek, off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

Oct. 7 - Thur., Slept till noon! Pull anchor 1400. Very little wind.
Picked up nicely after sunset. Was one of those perfect nights for
sailing, nice breeze, billions of stars out, sailed till 0100 Fri.
morn. Tied up to work dock on Tangier Island (VA). (35 NM)

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk. Decided to
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and tourist it up for
the day.

Oct. 9 - Sat., Leave slip 0945. Light wind, but another gorgeous day.
Arrive Onancock VA, 1400. Hook up with Mundo (of asa fame) and visit
for the day. (12 NM)

Oct. 10 - Sunday, leave dock 0900, wind blowing 15-20 North, I want
to go north. Big waves. bury the bow 3 times, 2 rouge waves break on
the beam and I'm soaked. Luckily it was still warm out. wild ride.
Can't make much north progress. Duck into Great Wicomico River and up
the Cockrell Creek to anchor. (46 NM)

Oct. 11 - Mon., NOAA calling for the winds to die down some later in
the day, I wait till 1500 to pull out. Was a good decision. Arrive
Smith Creek at 2400 (36 NM)

Oct. 12 - Tue., Weigh anchor 0800 , 10-15 North winds again. Sail
into Little Choptank River and up Hudson Creek, drop anchor 0100.
(69 NM)

Oct. 13 - Wed., Calling for rain in the afternoon. Weigh anchor
0730, Sun and clouds, rained for an hour , then sunny again. Nice
wind. Arrive Annapolis 1500. Meet up with 'old' friends. (35 NM)

Oct. 14 - Thur., Sail out to watch the Schooner Race with Haggy and
Mr. Hag as crew. Perfect day for a sail. Some really great looking
schooners.

Oct. 15 - Fri., hang out in Annapolis

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts to 30, BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making 6-6.5 knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip, Middle River,
1500. (29 NM)

The last half mile was sad as I realized it was coming to an end.
Great weather, great sailing.

What a great 2 weeks!

Scotty

Jonathan Ganz

Sounds great! Do you know of a good charter company? Might do this trip next
year.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Vernon

Crap! I forgot the pics in the first post.

http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG

[...]

Sunset; http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/639756.JPG
Tangier Island;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/73220.JPG

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk. Decided to
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and tourist it up for
the day.

Wonder who's buried here;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/734565.JPG

http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/124025.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/340688.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/202096.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/982666.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/497594.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/868810.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/505576.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/827120.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/235312.JPG

Oct. 15 - Fri., hang out in Annapolis

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts to 30, BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making 6-6.5 knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip, Middle River,
1500. (29 NM)

The last half mile was sad as I realized it was coming to an end.
Great weather, great sailing.

What a great 2 weeks!

Scotty

SAIL LOCO

Annapolis to Middle River in 5 hours. Must have been a fun ride.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Scott Vernon

It was!

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Annapolis to Middle River in 5 hours. Must have been a fun ride.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Scott Vernon

Don't you mean, real sailors' wives?

"SAIL LOCO" wrote ...
What no interior pictures? I've been told real sailors take

interior photos of
their boats.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

Thom Stewart

Welcome back Scotty,

What a great Trip And What a GREAT REPORT!!! I do believe you have
raised the Bar for the rest of the ASA.

Wonderful pictures!! Schooners were outstanding.

Glad you had the "Hags" aboard

"Lisa Marie" can stand tall. She served you well. ( And the bond grows
stronger, doesn't it)

Again, Welcome back.

AND: "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom