posted to rec.boats.paddle
Cricket[_2_] Cricket[_2_] is offline

Default Youtube

"Bob CP" wrote in message
John Kuthe wrote:
On Nov 14, 9:45 pm, Davej wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:41 am, John Kuthe wrote:

On Nov 14, 7:39 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A98MgTHCK8
I'm sorry Paul, but I would NEVER be caught in a boat on the water
without at least my PFD!
I see quite a few fla****er racers who don't wear PFDs during
training.

Too cool for PFDs, eh? Hope they never need one!

John Kuthe...

I confess that I'm not wearing a PFD in a couple of my technique videos. I
rarely wear one doing a fla****er workout, especially in the summer.
Nipple burn, you know. Of course the section of river that I use is only
75 ft wide and during the summer, only 3 ft deep. When the (flat) water
is really shallow, I'll wear a helmet, but no PFD. And so far, in 35+
years of paddling, I haven't fallen over in flat water unless I was trying
big pivot moves (where I rolled).

I don't wear one in rockless, slow, shallow, *warm* water usually. They
make it so much harder to manuvuer that I'm more likely to go in with one
on.

If they made one that fit me, I'd be more liable to wear it, but I've
methodically tried on every one offered anywhere nearby, and none have come
close. The only ones that come close are for kids, and kids don't have
boobs. Sigh. Nor twenty-six years of shoeing horses worth of back and
shoulder muscles.

I grin and bear it if it's cold or in faster water (or if I'm out with
people that I feel I might have to go in after...which I avoid, as they tend
to scramble up your body and sit on your head, necessitating knocking them
out cold to get a grip - and nobody appreciates that... ;). But the misery
of wearing one where the odds are really, really long against a problem
isn't worth it.

I figure life is all odds, and a 1% chance of something happening isn't
worth being miserable all day for - a 30% chance - yeah, I'll wear one, and
just bitch a lot.

Cricket