Larry Larry is offline

Default Zinc replacement on Yanmar 3HM/3GM series

Don W wrote in news:ZB9sh.17467
:

Unfortuately my 3HM is raw water cooled.

I know someone who has a raw water cooled Yanmar in the salt. He installed
a Y-valve in the hose just up from the through hull intake. The open side
goes to his fresh water pressure system.

When he's done with the engine, leaving the engine idle to keep the
thermostat open, he closes the through hull valve to shut off the seawater,
throws the y-valve to "FLUSH", and flushes the engine with pressurized
fresh water for a few minutes, even cleaning the salt out of the waterbox
muffler, then shuts down the engine that's been heating fresh water, now,
and switches the Y-valve back to "NORMAL", leaving the seawater valve off
until he needs the engine again. Works great! Zincs last forever! He
even flushes it on the hook.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.