Brian D

I think you'll like using thin plywood for building a model better than
other materials. I've tried things like paper, plastic, thin cardboard
....nope, ply is better. I use model aircraft plywood from the local hobby
shop. It bends realistically and you can cut it with scissors.

Brian D

"Thomas Veber" wrote in message
Hi William,

Thank you for your nice and long reply. I have been looking at your web
page, and found a lot of usefuld information. I will see if I can find the
"Blue Peter" program also. I think it is a good idea to build models in
plywood. I was thinking of building them in paper, but ofcourse thin
plywood will give a better "feel" of the real thing.

I will study your web page more, and probably return with more
questions... It is specially the weight- and strength distribution that
concerns me.

Fortunately we do not have the same regulations in Sweden to toilets as
you have in Canada. But IF there is a toilet, it must have a tank to hold
the waste.

Best regards,
Thomas

"William R. Watt" skrev i meddelandet

You're welcome to look at the design process for Solo15 on my website
under "Boats" (address below). It describes how I used two free hull
design programs (Carlson and Blue Peter) and compared the numbers to
lists
of boats in books. The Solo15 was an exercise to demonstrate on the
Internet how amateurs like myself might go about designing a small boat.
The design is incomplete and will not likely be built. I'd advise reading
a lot of books on boat design from the public library. Chosing the shape
is just part of it, there's chosing the right strength and weight of
materials, getting the weight distribution and sail balance right, etc.

For a combination of inspiration and practical information for small
boats I
like the two books by designer/builder TF Jones.

You might be interested in looking at amateurn boat desing competitions.
There's one a year at www.duckworksmagazine.com. I think only the most
recent one is avaiable for viewing without paying a membership fee to
login.

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community
network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's
returned