Ian Malcolm Ian Malcolm is offline

Default Zinc replacement on Yanmar 3HM/3GM series

Don W wrote:

Ian Malcolm wrote:

Scott wrote:

Don (and Ian),
I'm away from my boat and it's 3GM30F manual, but two things . . . .
First, I know that my 30GM30F is the fresh water version with heat
exchanger, and it has no zincs. However, I am pretty sure that the
manual describes procedures for replacing zincs in the sea water
cooled version. Yanmar has an online forum and help desk which I have
found useful, Yanmarhelp.com.

Good luck,
Scott

Yep, Yanmarhelp is a *very* good forum. I have a PDF copy of the
manual as well as the dead tree version which normally lives onboard
so I was able to check my facts. :-) Cant remember were I found the
PDF or I'd provide a link to it. :-(

Hi Ian,

I've got the "dead tree" (I like that version of the service manual
down at the boat also. That's how I know where the zincs reside in the
engine. I'd imagine that for the FWC versions they just plug the zinc
holes with a cap. Unfortuately my 3HM is raw water cooled.

I think that I'll do as you suggest and pull the zincs to take a look at
them. I was just trying to get a feel from others how often they were
having to replace them.

If you find that PDF, I'd sure like a link to it

Later,

Don W.

Well I've searched for it and gone back over the download logs and I
belive the site (was on www.boten.nl) has taken it down, probably
because of the Yanmar copyright.

As such, I wont be posting it anywhere on the web and at some 66Mb its
rather too big for email (which I would only have considered to the
first 3 people who could prove they owned a dead tree copy - I've got no
desire to **** of my local Yanmar dealers). I seem to remember somebody
linking to it from a diesel forum which is probably why it vanished.

It was called YanmarGM&HMWorkshopManual.pdf and who knows it *might*
reappear somewhere. It appeared to be a slightly older version than the
current dead tree manual.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.