Rheilly Phoull

Default Battery fluid bubbles while being charged. Is this normal?

"Roy" wrote in message
m...
I recently noticed that when my solar panels are charging the
batteries that the acid/fluid inside the battery bubbles up (something
like boiling water). Is this normal? I have 4 Trojan 105 batteris
wired to produce 217 Amp at 12V. The total maximum solar output is
3.84 Amps. I also got a Morningstar regulator (max 4.5 Amp). The
charger is wired to only one battery positive pole. The installation
is working just fine but when I opened the plugs to check the fluid
level I noticed the bubbling of the battery fluid. I also noticed that
the bubbling takes place only at the battery that is wired to the
regulator. I measured the voltage of the other batteries and they
were all being equally charged. BUT I did not notice any bubbling in
the other 3 batteries. Only the battery that receive the charge
directly does. Is this normal? Is this set up about to blow up? Am I
suppose to wire the charge of the regulator to the 4 positive poles of
the 4 batteries? Any explanantion about the bubbles is mostly welcome.
Thanks, Roy

Batteries normally "bubble" when fully charged (Like at the end of the
charge), however I would say it is more like the fizzing of a soft
carbonated drink than "boiling". If it looks like the inside of a boiling
kettel then you mave have a bit of a problem :-). If the batteries are wired
in parallel (all pos posts connected together and all neg posts the same)
then it is only neccessary to connect anywhere convenient to a neg and pos
battery terminal ofm the group.
It would be a good idea to take hydrometer readings of all the batteries
after they have stood fully charged overnight to check their degree of
charge and if there is any variations between them.

--
Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull