posted to rec.boats.building
max camirand max camirand is offline

Default Steel hull and aluminum superstructure

André Langevin wrote:
Hi to all,

I am a newcomer on this newsgroup and you'll see me around as i'm starting
the construction of a new boat. I currently have a 34 feet powerboat in
aluminum and my nest boat will be a 44 or 45 steel sailboat. I'm looking at
building a Bruce Roberts design and i would like the deck superstructure to
be in aluminum. I've seen many commercial boat done this way and even old
Coast Guard patrol boat of 30+ years old without any corrosion problem so it
is something i'd like to do. But i can't find any industry that carries the
special strip that isolate both metals but still permit to weld them both.

Does someone ever see this ?

André

There exist some bimetal strips that are used to join the steel to the
aluminium. Of course, you can't weld those two together.

If you want an aluminium superstructure because of its lower weight,
then maybe you could also consider a plywood deck and house.

-mc