Robert 7

Default My motor - leaking oil near lower unit? (with photo)

Thanks.. I have more questions. How do I examine it is broken seal or
unburnt oil?

Forgot to tell, when I tried to start the motor that day, I turned the
switch to "off". I knew that was stupid.. So, I keep pulling the cord for
10-15 times at least until I realized I switch it off.. Was that the reason
to cause unburnt oil like Phil said? or is that really seal broken like you
said?

Also, I use SAE 90 lower gear oil for lower unit (more yellow color).. since
the oil I see is black, can I eliminate it is not lower gear oil?

I am frustrated... help...

Rob.

"Jim" jim.morris wrote in message
You blew a seal...nothing to get upset about....about a 20-40 dollar fix
including labour and the seal is located at the top of the leg where it
connects to the motor. I had the same thing happen to a 9.9 mariner...oil
started druelling out the bottom end as black as soot. It is a minor fix

but
will be major if you take it to the water and run it.
Hope I was of some help

Jim

"Phil" wrote in message
That looks like unburnt oil from the exhaust (which comes out of the

prop
hub) leaking out between the prop and the lower unit. 2 stokes put out

lot of unburnt oil while running in a bucket. Also, the oil looks dark
since it traverses the exhaust system. Don't worry.....

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
Before winter, I replaced the lower unit oil and lubricated the

propeller
shaft. Yesterday, I ran the motor for the first time this year for

about
10
min (of course with a big bucket of water). and then stored the boat

back
in the garage. Today, I saw there is oil on the floor!!! see

attached
photo.

I examined the lower unit drain plug, the oil wasn't leaking from

there.
Instead, it leaked from the red arrow shown in the photo. Is that

normal?
Was that because I pumped too much lower unit oil in winter time?? or

should
I get a professional marina to take a look? Help... The motor is a
Mercury 15 HP, 2 cycle.

Here is the photo I took today:
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...ak/leaking.jpg

Help...