Tony Thomas

Default My motor - leaking oil near lower unit? (with photo)

Looks like the rear propshaft seal is leaking. Take to a mechanic and have
them check it out. If it is leaking - you will get water in the gearcase
and can ruin the gears.
However, the color of the oil does not look like gearcase oil. Did you use
the correct oil?

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Robert 7" wrote in message
ogers.com...
Before winter, I replaced the lower unit oil and lubricated the propeller
shaft. Yesterday, I ran the motor for the first time this year for about

10
min (of course with a big bucket of water). and then stored the boat back
in the garage. Today, I saw there is oil on the floor!!! see attached
photo.

I examined the lower unit drain plug, the oil wasn't leaking from there.
Instead, it leaked from the red arrow shown in the photo. Is that normal?
Was that because I pumped too much lower unit oil in winter time?? or

should
I get a professional marina to take a look? Help... The motor is a
Mercury 15 HP, 2 cycle.

Here is the photo I took today:
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...ak/leaking.jpg

Help...