Backyard Renegade

Default Bolger Diablo

(BeefaloeB) wrote in message ...
I have built two boats from the Instant Boats book, as well as a couple of
small stitch and glue kayaks, so I feel moderately experienced with the
building aspect. I am not especially experienced with power boats, though. I
live near the Hudson River outside of Albany, so I would want to use a boat
there, and I spend part of every summer on Cape Cod (near the Pamet River in
Truro), so I would want to be able to use it to get out on the bay there.
Fishing and general pleasure are my intended uses.

I hadn't given any consideration to the cost of the motor yet. If it is too
expensive, it could scuttle the entire project.

Well, it may be a little small for the bay as Paysons boats are
considered "protected water boats". With the proper care and
experience, you may be able to spend some days on the bay, close and I
have taken boats this size on the Connecticut River in lot's of
conditions, it would probably be a great boat on the river. Don't let
the engine stall you on your build, this boat also runs just fine with
a small engine, 5 horse will run it nicely all day. You won't plane
off, but you will go wherever you need to with it, slow and steady. My
friend put a 6 horse on the first year and said it was a great boat,
then he put on something a little bigger and says it really flies
and cuts a sweet turn..
Scotty