Default Trip Across Lake Michigan From South Haven (or ?) to Chicago?

See Below:

"Slambram" wrote in message
I figure the best way to start planning this would be to ask first.
First, is this even possible in my size boat - 1999 Crownline 225
cuddy, 350 Mag/BIII? On my charting software, it looks like 75 miles
from South Haven to Chicago, but i can put in somewhere else if it's
easier/shorter. I've heard it's a 50 mile trip. I would leave at
first light to take advantage of hopefully calmer water. What else
should i bring in addtition to the usual/required gear? Spare VHF and
GPS? Spare engine parts (belt, fuel filter, impeller, hoses), tools,
? I don't have, and Crownline says you don't need, trim tabs, but i
can't help but think they would help in bigger water. Any/all
suggestions welcome. If it turns out this boat can't handle it, i
have no problem waiting a few years until i step up.

Thanks, -JZ

South Haven to Chicago 65 nautical miles. How much fuel do you hold and and
how much do you burn per hour at what cruising speed? You should do the
calculationns and be sure you have a minimum 40 percent reserve as you do
not want to go below 1/4 tank (this will allow the sediment in your tank to
suspend if there are any waves adn can plug you r fuel filters very
quickly).

Unless you have some place to keep the boat in Chicago you will probably
need to have a reservation at one of the marinas either public on the
lakefront or private on the Calumet river.

As posted previously, don't tie yourself to a schedule. You may even want
to consider having someone bring your trailer over to Chicago and go back
that way.

Another thing to consider would be to via Michigan City Which is 48 nautical
miles from South Haven and then to Chicago from there which is only 32
nautical miles. Advantage is that you have St. Joe/Benton Harbor as a
harbor of refuge and you get to see the shoreline. Having crossed Lake
Michigan at least 100 times in boats as small as 24 feet and as large as
350+ (the Badger Carferry) I can assure that once out of sight of land it
quickly becomes very tedious unless livened up by bad weather, fog or other
boats on your path.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Fred