Larry

Default Living on a boat: winter??

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:33:26 -0400, sergem
wrote:

Hi folks, hope someone can answer my question!

Last week I talked to someone who told me they lived on a sailboat
year round! I found this an interesting concept, especially being a
bachelor.

I'm entertaining this idea but I have a few questions:

1. I would be interested in a powered boat.. like a cruiser or
something w/ cabin. My understanding is that most of these have a
fiberglass hull.. what would happen in a Canadian Winter when the boat
is docked.. would it be damaged? He mentionned an "agitator" or
something?

Wrong thinking. By winter, the boat would be in the Florida Keys or
Aruba or St Kitts/Nevis. Freezing is not an issue.....suntan oil and
loose threads on your Speedos is the issue.

2. Is this even possible? The boat would remain dock 99% of the time..
it would be treated as a floating bachelor apartment basicly.

There are AC-powered props that are installed around the boat on the
bottom of the lake/river that suck up warm water from the bottom of
the pond and constantly push it up along the hull to melt the ice
forming from the 20-below-zero (F) weather above the waterline. Some
systems I've seen use air bubbles to float the warmer water to the
top.

Both systems depend on AC power lines NOT being torn down by a freak
storm, allowing the ice to close in on that eggshell-like hull and
destroying your boat.

I like the Caribbean scenario much better, myself....(c;
Babe magnet......boat on some warm island you can fly to in winter.

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"