William R. Watt

"Thomas Veber" ) writes:
Hi William,

I have been wondering... Wouldn't it, from a forces point of view, be a good
idea to put the mast on one of the bulkheads?

/Thomas

I've located the unstayed mast in a raised tabernacle at the front of the
cabin wall (this cabin looks much like raised the cabin on a New England
catboat) intending it and the cabin to be supported on the same framing,
with the sideways stress being carried by the cabin wall and framing to
the gunwales and chines. It's not entirely an untested idea. You might
want to look at the way the mast is stepped in the removable partners on
the Dogskiff boat on my website. That arrangement has worked fine. If the
arrangement on the Solo15 caused any problems a hole could be cut in the
deck and the mast stepped on the cabin sole in the more traditional
manner. It's always good to have a backup plan.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm