Jürgen Spelter

Default Battery fluid bubbles while being charged. Is this normal?

Hi Roy,

glad to hear that there was now blast in texas.....

"Roy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
m...
Well, I could not go to sleep and wait till Saturday while thinking
that the batteries were about to explode. So I went to the boat (2
hours drive each way)to check everything. First and foremost all was
normal. I arrived at about sun set and measured everything. Battery01
measured 6.58V; Battery02 6.32; together they measured 12.90.
Battery03 measured 6.48; Battery04 measured 6.50; together they
measured 12.98. All four as one bank gave me a reading of 12.91. The

that seems to be totally normal and indicates full charged system.

second voltimeter which is less accurate gave me a reading of 13V. I
tried to measure the regulator output but the sun was setting and all
I got was a 0.5 reading. I checked the fuid level and only battery01,
the one that receives the charging wire from the regulator, was a
little below normal. I filled it up. When there was till some sun
there was a little fissing in that battery just like in an old
carbonated drink. I downsized the fuse in the wire from the regulator
to battery01 to 5 amp (just in case something goes wrong). I also
filled the fluid of all batteries to the top and concluded that all
was kosher. False alarm. Only one question. It was a very sunny day

Take a steady look at that fluid level, when overcharging takes place, level
will decrease rather fast

and by sun set the 4 batteries gave a compound reading of 13V. I would
assume that if the regulator was working properly I would have a
higher reading, something like almost 14V. The max output of the

during sunshine (means charging) voltage comes up to about 14 volts, when
sun disappeares, voltage will go down to about 13 volts, everything seems to
be OK

panels is 3.8amp. Max charge of the regulator is 4.1amp as per the
manual. And, this was a full Texan sunny day. There were no discharges
anywhere since the boat was closed and the switch board turned off. Am
I correct to assume that all is working properly? Should I downsized
the fuse from 5 to 4 amps? The lowest battery reading was that of
battery02, e.g., 6.32V. Is this within range? Thanks for your
attention and help. I was in panic and I am glad I could turn to this
newsgroup for a quick support. Roy

Fuse shoud stay at 5 amps, time of charging will be the problem. Come to
germany, and all your problems with overcharging will disappear....

juergen