Garland Gray II Garland Gray II is offline

Default Zinc replacement on Yanmar 3HM/3GM series

I was surprised to find a zinc in the block (cooling jacket) of my 3GM 30
freshwater cooled engine. I assume the blocks are the same and there is a
hole there that has to be plugged, so it seems they just use the same plug
with a zinc screwed on. Simplifies the assembly line not to have w/ or w/o
zinc, perhaps, or maybe mine was just a mistake.
Needless to say, the zinc was not eroded.
FWIW, mine is a European version.

"Scott" ASDF wrote in message ...

Don (and Ian),
I'm away from my boat and it's 3GM30F manual, but two things . . . .
First, I know that my 30GM30F is the fresh water version with heat
exchanger, and it has no zincs. However, I am pretty sure that the manual
describes procedures for replacing zincs in the sea water cooled version.
Yanmar has an online forum and help desk which I have found useful,
Yanmarhelp.com.

Good luck,
Scott

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in
message ...
David&Joan wrote:

Don:

There are no zincs on a Yanmar 3GM engine, at least not on the few I
have owned. The raw water heat exchanger has cupro-nickel tubes and
Yanmar obvously believes that they won't corrode enough to warrant
zincs.

David

Funny, my GM series service manual has details of how to change the zinc
on 1,2 and 3GM and the newer 1GM10, 2GM20 and 3GM30 engines.

SNIP