Mike

Default Opinions on a 1987 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28'

Thanks Paul for the info., but here is the concern. We are well aware
of getting a professional survey done, but this would be the second
time we are getting it done. We had one done on a Celebrity we were
looking at and found out it had a cracked hull and basically was
soaked and rotted all in the hull, a $10,000 repair or as our surveyor
put it....a scrap boat. Our concern is that this one might also have
some structural problems and we would be out another 300-400 bucks.
So my intent here is to just get some opinions on whether or not based
on previous owner experience/etc. if we should move to the next step
with this boat. We are really trying to avoid the 300-400 bucks again
with no boat.....that would be very frustrating to us.

"Paul" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I have to agree with the "get a survey" response.

We're just buying an 89 Wellcraft Monaco 30. Problems had cropped up over
the years but had been professionally dealt with. In some ways, it's better
now than it was when new.

So now imagine this boat is moored beside the next boat that came out of the
factory right after it but hadn't had these not so visible problems dealt
with. I wouldn't be able to tell by looking. This knowledge I have is all
based on my attendance during the survey and talking with the gentleman who
surveyed it, and reading his formal report.

We also got a full mechanical check done on it including not just the
engines but all of the systems on board.

We then subjected it to a 2.5 hour sea trial running for lengths of time at
various speeds -- including idle speed moving at only 2 or 3 knots, slow
cruise at ~7 knots, and various planing speeds. We rammed it into some chop,
ran through confused wake patterns, idled through a tight channel etc. etc.

Finally, we spent about 45 minutes coming in and out of the slip, both bow
in and stern in, and performing various approaches to the gas dock too to
see how she handled wind, current, close quarter maneuvering etc.

I guess the answer is that there is no boat, used or new, that you can tell
is good just by looking. You have to get professional input on the
structural and mechanical, and you have to spend some time on it getting to
know it and deciding if its strengths and weaknesses (and it will definitely
have both) are what you're looking for.

So if it "looks" as if it would suit you then take the next step and put in
an offer conditional upon survey, mechanical inspection and sea trial. You
might want to throw financing in as a condition as well.

Good luck. Wish me luck too.

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
My wife and I (newbie boaters) are looking at buying a 1987 28'
Wellcraft Monte Carlo. We have heard about possible structural issues
with these boats during the late 80s but have heard that it was only
in some of wellcrafts other models. This particular boat we are
looking at has 200hp twins and a 10 ft beam and it is in really great
shape. Any thoughts/opinions/experiences regarding this boat would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!