Jonathan W.

Default painting a fiberglass dinghy

A smooth shiny finish is primarily the function of good prep work. If
the hull has been painted before, it needs to be sanded so that all the
gloss is gone from the original paint, and all the dings and divots have
been filled with a sandable filling material, either polyester like
Bondo, or epoxy like West System with mircoballons. Sand, fill, sand
fill what didn't quite fill the first time and sand again. If you use a
fairing primer like Interlux 244 it will further help achieve the
"perfect" finish, but any enamel properly brushed out should give you a
fine, serviceable finish.

In any event, read the manufacturers directions and thin properly. A
capful of the right brushing liquid (Interlux 333?) can make the
difference between an OK finish and one that has people saying, "How'd
you do that?"

Your basic starter sanding grit might be 80 grit paper, finish off with
at least 220 prior to painting.

Good luck,

Jonathan

wrote:
i just find a little sailing dinghy , but the hull is need to repaint
,what is the best way to go to repaint the hull outside?
epoxy paint ? and what kind of prep . need to be done to get a nice
luster ? sound very basic but i can use some good advice.

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr