Matt Lang

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:41:51 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On 10 Nov 2004 17:34:04 -0800, (Matt Lang) wrote:

(Matt Lang) wrote in message . com...
Guys,

I have a 200 HP Optimax sportjet, the thing has the 2.5l block. The
time will come to winterize this thing. The manual says to put the
following in the fuel filter:

- DFI oil
- Merc Quickleen
- Merc Fuel stabilizer

The funny thing is that they DO NOT sell Quickleen (in Canada), so
what is the optimax owner supposed to do?

One dealer said to just prime the oil pump and hope the best, another
to spray fogging oil in the cylinders. Another said it shouldnt hurt
to spray fogging oil in the airintake when it runs as the fogging
stuff wont get in the injectors.

Merc however warns about useing any fogging stuff on this motor.

I heard about optimax rusting internally over the winter, so I wonder
what Merc expects one to do? Any ideas how to winterize these things?

Matt

Come on folks! Nobody has an optimax?

As for the quickleen I think I will head across the border into the US
to grab a few bottles. Merc customer service INSISTS this motor
doesnt need anything else .. not even needs the quickleen that bad ..
makes me wonder why THIS motor shouldnt corrode internally.

I don't know much about Mercs, I'll be honest, but it would seem to me
that spraying down the cylinders with fogging oil, changing the gear
oil, greasing up the prop shaft, checking for seal damage (if you have
a pressure tester or access to one), changing the fuel/water separator
filter and changing plugs should just about take care of the
winterization process.

I'd do my own FICHTS, but they are a little more complicated to do and
I'd rather berate a dealer for making a mistake than swearing at
myself for doing the same. :)

I just looked at my FICHT shop manual and it states that you should
make up a mix of gas and fuel stabilizer, run the engine for ten
minutes, then shut it down and leave it down. Makes sense to me.

thats pretty much the merc recommendation, but i wonder if this is
enough? Will this stop the motor from rusting ...

I just treated all my small motors liberately with fogging oil and
felt good doing it It bothers me that my most expensive motor
shouldnt get any of this ...

Matt