?

I'm confident that the leads were hooked up properly, as they will
only reach to the appropriate terminals, so that isn't the issue. My
only thought is that because I connected the positive terminal first,
it may have started grounding out somewhere, and subsequently
connecting the negative terminal wouldn't have corrected the issue
because it would lie "further down the line" as well as the main
circuit breaker, which didn't trip. So my first inclination is that it
grounded or shorted out through the alternator, frying it in the
process. Thanks for the input everyone, I'll just have to hook 'er up
again tonight and see if it's toast.......