posted to rec.boats.building
Bob Bob is offline

Default Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows

MarshallE wrote:
Take a look at a 2 part polyurethane
We use this to bond polycarbonate to polycarbonate and have had great
success.

Does this allow 1/8" of adheasive for movment of structure?

Stay clear of any glues that are generating a chemical bond to the
P/C. Any glue that "attacks" the P/C will cause stress cracking at a later
date. (or at least this is what we found.....)

Many webpages list chemicals/cleaners that poly carb must avoid or are
compatible.
Jsut do your homework.

PS...make sure that the window material is not just polycarbonate but that
it is UV stabilized and explain that you will use it for a window
application.

There is a "UV protected" poly carb avalible. Some companies accomplish
this by applying a laminate "layer" on one side. The tech guy I
contacted said if the lexan is flexed the UV laminate will seperate
form the lexan.

Though acrylic is more fragile it will/should hold up better
than P/C as far as sunlight.

Ya but when you go to tighten a linse on a curve the plexiglas will
crack. Not so the lexan.

Most outdoor signage is made from Acrylic due
to better UV properties. There are some window materials that have thin
layers of other plastics to help with minimizing scratches.

I used Dow Corning 795 on (6) lexan 3/8" x 7" x 15" lenses. Through
bolted to house with (14) MS PH Philips 316 1/4" x 20 x 2 1/2" bedded
in 1/8" Dow Corning 795.

Do your research. Search this site and rec.boats. crusing for tons of
info.
Bob