posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt

Default DIY radar post

Paul Nightingale wrote:
Has anyone made their own radar mast? Can you point me to any pictures or
descriptions of construction?

I have had mine made by a local guy who can weld Stainless.

Here's a link to some photo's:

http://tinyurl.com/z9jqz

It's made out of 50 mm stainless pipe, with a coupling halfway. The
coupling is necessary since the boat goes into storage for winter, and
the door ain't high enough :-)

The coupling is actually one used for beverages so it's really
water-tight (in Dutch we call this a "milk-coupling"). It did mean I had
to add the secondary struts, but this would have been necessary with 50
mm pipe anyway probably. A friend of mine has his made out of 100 mm
stainless, but that's sooo heavy.

Cost (HW + 6 manhours) was 800 EUR (around 600 USD at the time, now it's
more like 1000 USD).

--
Kees