Chris Crandall

Default Redmond Whisp

It's true; Ive been in one. It's a one person boat, unless the second is
a kid, who doesn't mind the risk of getting very wet. Very, very
charming, though.

I'd build something else.

steveJ ) wrote:
: I checked the book "Ultralight Boatbuilding" by Tom Hill and it says
: capacity is 600 lbs. I know one guy who built this very pretty boat.
: 600 lbs on a dead calm flat pond mabey, but not in the normal steep two
: foot chop that developes regularly on Lake Champlain where this boat was
: apparently intended to be used.

: steveJ wrote:
: This boat has very low freeboard. The weight capacity is less then 600
: lbs. It is ok for one person but you will want greater freeboard.
: This is a very light boat.
:
: Paul Squire wrote:
:
: I have had Tim hill's book on my shelves for some years and am, at last,
: heading towards the point where I can actually build a sharpie. It is
: to be
: as light as possible so that it will be used, but large enough for the
: whole
: family. Redmond's Whisp looks ideal weighing just 68lbs yet capable of
: carrying 600lbs. What is the catch?
:
: Anyway, can anyone tell me where I can get plans for Whisp?
:
: Paul
:
: