Gary S.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:29:43 -0400, John/Charleston
wrote:

I'm slated to build a kayak rack for a local resort and while we've
come up with a simple design that should be workable, I thought I'd
ask for ideas from anyone who's already thought this out. The rack
would need to store 30 or so boats of various styles. The current
plan is just a simple 20' long x 8' deep stand of 4x4's with
galvanized pipe crossbars to create bins. The pipes would be covered
with short cuts of pvc piping to give a roller effect as the kayaks
were being slid on/off the rack.
I am a carpenter and I have the building sense needed to make this
work well, I'm just looking for design tips that would be useful/fun
to incorporate.

Pics of existing systems would be great too!

Many larger shops which sell them have various storage racks, usually
made inhouse. Visit a few for ideas. REI shops have something I think
is made centrally, probably closer to what you want.

Most I have seen allow for side access to remove boats, not so much
end access. However, they do need to keep the boats in "like new"
condition.

I would look at 3 racks, 5 boats high on each side. Do not plan on
anything requiring a ladder to pull a boat, even if you do have the
vertical space. 5 is as high as even tall people can do, and 4 might
be better.

Some shops suspend the boats using the grab loops at each end, or some
sort of sling. If they also sell climbing gear, some of these setups
are marvelously complex.

You might also consider enough of a roof to shade them from UV or
filling with rainwater.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA