john Szalay john Szalay is offline

Default Hokule'a west bound in the Panama canal - 1 attachment

wrote in news:nq379cd6030htukqp00m79li44m14kddl5@
4ax.com:

I wonder if the work boat was going thru the locks and just took them
along for free or if they had to pay for the tow. Back in 1955 or 56
my friend and I wanted to conoe down the Mississippi during the sommer
school break. We didn't think it out enough, but his parents would
not allow him to go. I wonder how many locks the Mississippi river had
between the start and New Orleans. Nope we couldn't 'google' back
than. Seems there are 29 on the upper river. Hal Thanks for the
pictures.

no such thing as a free ride, I suspect they had to pay the toll plus
the cost of the work boat..

IIRC:
even a swimmer going the length of the canal had to pay the toll..

"What is the lowest toll paid to date? "

"The lowest tolls to date were paid by Richard Halliburton, who swam the
Panama Canal in 1928. Halliburton paid only 36 cents. "

and
https://www.pancanal.com/common/mari...ENG-201211.pdf