posted to rec.boats.building
MarshallE

Default Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows

Take a look at a 2 part polyurethane that comes in a small dual tube with
plunger. When you press the plunger the two parts mix and dispense very
easily.

We use this to bond polycarbonate to polycarbonate and have had great
success. Stay clear of any glues that are generating a chemical bond to the
P/C. Any glue that "attacks" the P/C will cause stress cracking at a later
date. (or at least this is what we found.....)

Check GE's site...good idea...and check 3M's site and others for the glue.
Call and ask detailed questions....

Good luck,

Marshall

PS...make sure that the window material is not just polycarbonate but that
it is UV stabilized and explain that you will use it for a window
application. Though acrylic is more fragile it will/should hold up better
than P/C as far as sunlight. Most outdoor signage is made from Acrylic due
to better UV properties. There are some window materials that have thin
layers of other plastics to help with minimizing scratches.

"Leonard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any advice on what Adhesive/Sealant to use to attach a
Lexan window to a steel hull boat? I tried using 3M Marine Adhesive
Sealant 5200. It did not bond with the Lexan.

Any thoughts or recommendations?