Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

A couple of boats that come to mind are the Tartan 34 and Morgan
34. Both are similar in concept, if not in execution, to the Cal.
Tartan 34's have a good reputation and thus a higher price,
but Morgan owners love their boats too.

Some others to consider that haven't been mentioned yet:

Allied Luders 34, Seawind
Alberg 30, 37 (Alberg designed some of the Cape Dories or is it Cape Dory's)
C&C's are decent boats, and some are centerboarders
Douglas 32
Ericson 35 is a decent boat if a foot too long
Fuji 35 is pretty shippy
Mercator 30
Nicholson 32
Newport 33
Pearson Alberg 35
Ranger 33
Santana 30 (not the 30/30)
Yankee 30

Most of these can be had for decent prices (sub $30k) and are a little
more conservative in design, a lot of them have centerboards.

Matt

"Bob Whitaker" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

Been thinking of moving up to the 30-34 foot range, ideally a sailboat
that would provide safety in open waters, extended cruising
situations. Would love to get a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, but "The
Admiral" won't let me, and the bank won't either... I would prefer a
project boat (I would actually enjoy it). Heard great things of Cal
34's. What other boats do folks recommend. Goal is extended coastal
cruising, crossing Gulf of Mexico (Corpus Christi, TX to FL), keys,
Bahamas, maybe extended Caribbean cruising.